Optic Prices
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Optic Prices

View Poll Results: How much do you spend of glass?
$0-$300 10 31.25%
$301-$600 14 43.75%
$601-$1000 5 15.63%
$1000+ 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default Optic Prices

Ok because someone had to mouth off and upset Tango I am doing this poll now.

With your gun budget how much do you normally spend on optics for a basic hunting rifle? This is not a custom built kill t-rex at 500,000,000 yards. This is a basic NA big game hunting rifle.

For me from my research and readings and trying different scopes. I believe that you get more bang for your buck in the $301 to $600 range right now. You can get quality glass with quality coating that offer Adjustable Objectives or side focus they offer finger adjustable turrets. I personally feel that you don't gain much in performance until you get to the $1000+ price range over the $301 to $600 range.

None of my scopes cost more than $550 and My remington VLS can hit ground hogs at 250+ yards. Show me where spending double that on a scope is going to allow me to hit ground hogs at double the range? I know guys that have taken more deer in their life than 5 people on this board and have never used a single scope ever.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-10-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I musta missed something. I've never scoped my shotty (shotgun state-Ohio) and I spent less than $300 for the scope on my in-line that I am very happy with. Not very many opportunities to shoot farther than 150 yds or so around here.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Most of my scopes are cheap Simmons or Bushnell scopes that I purchased years ago for under $100. Like Skull said, shots beyond 100 yds are extremely rare (non-existent where I live). Why would I spend $300 on a scope to shoot under 200yds? I would love to have expensive glass, but I would also love to have a Ferrari...
I have a fixed 4x20mm Simmons Shotgun scope on my Marlin slug gun - it kicks like a mule and I don't enjoy shooting it - but that scope has never failed even with the massive recoil. All of my rifles can group within and inch at 100 yds. with the cheap glass I have. I won't buy a NcStar or a WalMart Tasco, but I see nothinig wrong with Bushnell or Simmons for my applications. For those who spend thousands on Elk, Moose, or bear hunts in Alaska or out west, I can understand wanting something that will hold up under extreme conditions, but I baby my sh!t and it lasts...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, none of my rifles are for hunting animals ( well, that is not true, I have the .25-06 that I built for my grandfather before he passed and it is mine now ) and ALL of my rifles are custom builds.

As such, I think the scopes in $600 to $1000 line is where all my glass was purchased. Not super high end, but with enough clarity, warranty, and durability to make sure they don't let me down.

Yeah, they are Leupolds. All of them.

I would love to have a case full of S&B scopes, but who can afford $3K for a scope these days??

JD

Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The one scoped rifle I own has a Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40 on it. I got the gun to hunt deer here in NC. The longest shots I will take where I hunt are 200-250 yards and I have no problem doing it with my current set up.
I think a lot of people think if they buy an expensive rifle/scope combination they are instantly marksman. They don't spend time with the rifle, don't learn the proper skill or practice the fundimentals.
I would love to have an $800 rifle with a $500 scope on top but in my current situation I simply can't afford one. Would buying said rifle make me any better of a shooter? Nope.

Sorry if I got off topic with all that.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I think a lot of people think if they buy an expensive rifle/scope combination they are instantly marksman.
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't let that get out. For Christ's sake man, we are talking about a custom gun shop here that tailors rifles to shooters!

OF COURSE my rifles make everyone shoot like Carlos Hathcock. Duh!

JD

Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't let that get out. For Christ's sake man, we are talking about a custom gun shop here that tailors rifles to shooters!

OF COURSE my rifles make everyone shoot like Carlos Hathcock. Duh!

JD
Send me one, I'll take it out for an afternoon at the range, post a range report and become a spokesman for your outstanding fire arms that can turn the average joe to a sniper at the drop of $2k.

Of course it understood that I will be keeping said rifle.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #8

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well for a plain ol' hunting rifle I'm in the $500.00 +/- range for scopes. Id like to also say of the scopes that I have, a couple are under $200.00. However, for my 1000 yard target build thats a different story. Considerably more $$$$$ than my other scopes. I have budgeted and saved for this piece of glass.

As posted in the other thread I read, a person has to define his wants from his needs. If you NEED a scope I say buy what you NEED, stay within your budget and save, if need be, if it is currently beyond your finances at present. Also if it's a scope you WANT, the same should hold true.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Send me one, I'll take it out for an afternoon at the range, post a range report and become a spokesman for your outstanding fire arms that can turn the average joe to a sniper at the drop of $2k.

Of course it understood that I will be keeping said rifle.

I could never do that to you SF. The presence of such a weapon, handed down from Mt. Olympus, once thrust into your hands would taint you for the rest of your days.

You wouldn't want to work.
You would iignore your friends and family.
You would just be shooting and shooting.

It would be a downward spiral that would have you, practically bloodless, having given too much bone marrow, selling a kidney on Ebay & finally, selling yourself on street corners to the first bad-suited, shuffling, Larry Craig who came by in an effort to purchase JUST ONE MORE precious box of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for just one more perfect target.

Just one more and you will be able to stop, but then you won't be able too....

And frankly I could not do that to another man I have grown to admire....

JD

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I could never do that to you SF. The presence of such a weapon, handed down from Mt. Olympus, once thrust into your hands would taint you for the rest of your days.

You wouldn't want to work.
You would iignore your friends and family.
You would just be shooting and shooting.

It would be a downward spiral that would have you, practically bloodless, having given too much bone marrow, selling a kidney on Ebay & finally, selling yourself on street corners to the first bad-suited, shuffling, Larry Craig who came by in an effort to purchase JUST ONE MORE precious box of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for just one more perfect target.

Just one more and you will be able to stop, but then you won't be able too....

And frankly I could not do that to another man I have grown to admire....

JD
Thanks for looking out for me bro. In the mean time, can you tell me how to help the trigger on my ATR? it SUCKS!!