Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Optic input for .44 mag Taurus pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default Optic input for .44 mag Taurus pistol

My nephew is getting his dad an optic of some type for his dad's Taurus .44mag (raging bull, i bleve, compensated & such). He asked for my input; after indicating my very limited knowledge in this area, i suggested that he could probably get a better red dot or reflex sight for the $100 or so he wants to spend and suggested he look at a few of them rather than looking at walmart scopes.

His father is a righty with a damaged right eye who shoots righty but with his left eye, somehow. The sight would be for hunting in Mississippi, primarily deer and usually in some cover with 100 yards being a very long/unusual shot. The father does not have expensive taste but would probably value quality.

Any suggestions on good/rugged optics at the $100 mark? Any input on the durability of reflex-type sights on a large caliber revolver?

I told them he would probably be happier with a collectors' item like Sandy Duncan's fake eye.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I saw a few different eye-catching models at optics planet:

Pentax Gameseeker Sight Scopes YORD 89701 FREE S&H 89701. Pentax Gameseeker Red Dot Sights, Pentax Red Dot Sights. Is this a decent red dot? Pentax was not horrible for camera lenses; not sure about this kind of thing.

Couple of inexpensive reflex sights:
Mueller Optical 1x22x 33mm Quick Shot Waterproof Red Dot Scope FREE S&H MQS12233MB, MQS12233. Mueller Optics Quick Shot Red Dot Sights, Mueller Optics Red Dot Sights.
Barska Electro Sight Multi Reticle Red Dot Sight AC10632 FREE S&H AC10632. Barska Red Dot Sights.
Osprey Red Dot Sight FREE S&H DSMD, DSMR. Osprey Red Dot Sights.

My main concerns are ease of use and shock resistance.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1110 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Orangello,I have put several different optics on my Raging Bull 44 over the years.From Halographic sights,scopes-fixed magnification & variable,and several brands of Reddot sights.
Currently it has a BSA reddot sight.Even though they are low end,it has served me well,and has lasted for atleast 5yrs on this pistol.

I'm planning on getting one of these Bushnell's.I like the dual red/green dot,and the ability to change the size of the dot from 1MOA-10MOA.

Bushnell - Red Dot 1x 28mm Red/Green Dot [730135]