Optic for Beretta suggestion

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Optic for Beretta suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default Optic for Beretta suggestion

First off... I am a complete novice as it relates to optics for handguns...that is my disclaimer

The picture is my wife's handgun. It is a Beretta 92 Custom Carry and she likes it due to he single stack grips and manageable recoil. I detest the gun because POI is way low from POA.

The solution....add an adjustable red dot optic that is fairly inexpensive (remember, wife's gun and I don't like it) that can mount with minimal brainpower from the mechanically challenged....and of course, needs to withstand the recoil and action of a semi-auto...I suppose most, if not all do, but I don't know from experience that this is the case...see original disclaimer.

So experts...what types of sight, make/model etc...would a guy like me look for?

berettacc.jpg  

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Personally i dont recomend optics on a carry pistol.

Ammo choice has a lot to do with poi in handguns. Almost all 9mm are factory set for the 115grain fmj at 1150-1200fps at 10-15yards. Some ccw type guns are set to 7yards which might be the case with that one.

If your using a heavier bullet like 124 or bigger the poi shift can be pretty big. If your using a lighter bullet or one with a different ballistic coefficient it can also be big.

I use either 115grain fmj or hornady 115grain critical defense in my berreta compact both have pretty much spot on poi.

You can contact berreta for the distance and ammo specs they used to confirm zero.

Lastly if she likes it why mess with it?? Unless its off by a foot or more at 7 yards i wouldnt worry about it. Self defense isnt bullseye shooting you just need to land hits in a 18"x18" box...

If you insist on getting an optic you like for a gun you detest that doesnt belong to you... i would suggest the trijicon rmr its an excellent semi auto optic

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-15-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

The gun says custom carry, but she doesn't carry it. She likes the smaller grips from the single stack magazine and we mostly plink in the back yard. We are shooting 115 gr ball ammo, typical low cost practice ammo.

She likes the ergonomics of the gun and it shoots low for her as well. I have a Kimber 45 with laser sites and she really likes those, but not the recoil...it is sharp. Obviously, I would get her consent before altering the gun, but if it shoots better/more accurately and she likes the laser site she will shoot and practice more....that is why I would alter a gun that is my wife's. I think either a set of laser grips or a red dot, adjustable site would be of interest to her.

A gun that shoots where it is aimed builds confidence and capability which translates to enjoyment and practice.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

You might want to look into an adjustable rear sight for it. You would be able to get the POI closer to POA that way.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/sight-rear-adj-white-dot-92-96-prod40561.aspx

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Docter makes great handgun red dots. I a sure it is available online in the states.

http://www.frankonia.de/436769/282140/productdetail.html?articleNumber=168750&navCategor yId=6717

Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Docter makes great handgun red dots. I a sure it is available online in the states.

http://www.frankonia.de/436769/282140/productdetail.html?articleNumber=168750&navCategor yId=6717
Holy Moly man, I can't read Duetch! I don't speak anything but English, but I can often figure out French and Spanish....but the German language is like something from another planet lol!

Looking at the links you guys provided, the reflex site looks like what I am looking for, though I would not spend that much (550+ for trijicon)....crimson trace laser grips are also an option so I would go that route and I already know she likes the laser grips on my 45...maybe an excuse for a new gun to add to the family

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

ahh i see

your initial post it sounded like it was her carry gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

http://swfa.com/Burris-FastFire-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sights-C1811.aspx

http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-Micro-Red-Dot-Sights-C4217.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-DeltaPoint-Reflex-Sights-C2920.aspx

Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

Liked 2549 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Low-tech low-cost solution is strontium paint.

The brand I use is "Glow-On". Mask the pistol with

masking tape around the rear of the sights.

Prime the area with flat white first. Apply two coats.

IMHO, as a Beretta shooter, if your POA and POI are

way off at SD distances, a simple sights upgrade

probably won't help.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #10

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

In all honesty, I don't think you would be able to mount any type Optic on that Pistol the way the Slide is made. Unless it's a Side Mount type. Your best bet would be either the Crimson Trace Grips, or maybe a Ghost Ring rear Sight along with a Glow Front Sight.