Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Opinions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/opinions-92131/)

ncmedic964 06-11-2013 10:08 AM

Opinions?

I am in the market for an optic for my Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua Magnum. I have it narrowed down to 3 choices (I think). I am on the fence between a Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm, a Vortex Viper PST 6-20x50mm or a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm. I would also consider other options if you have suggestions but as much as I would like a Nightforce or a Leupold Mark 4 it's just not in the budget. I need to stay around the 1000.00 mark pretty closely. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sniper03 06-11-2013 11:40 PM

My opinion I would go with the Leupold VX 3 6.5X20 50 that is a 30MM Scope Tube Correct?

Txhillbilly 06-12-2013 01:59 AM

I'm partial to the Sightron SIII,I have 5 of the 6-24x50 scopes,and they are a steal for the quality of the product you get. I really like the MOA-2 reticle,it's a great target shooting reticle.But I like hunting with the LRMD reticle,you can see the reticle better in a busy background.

The Viper PST is a good scope,but IMO,the glass isn't as clear as the Sightron. Vortex does offer FFP and SFP reticles and a few other extras that Sightron doesn't,but I will always take better quality lenses over the extras that Vortex offers.

Leupold has good scopes,but they cost about 3x what they are actually worth. I'll take a Sightron SII or SIII or a top end Weaver over a Leupold scope anyday.Leupold lost my business many years ago. Their warranty isn't any better than any of these other brands,they all have lifetime warranties on their products.

JimRau 06-12-2013 01:08 PM

What do you intend to use the rifle for? The scope you chose will depend on it's intended use.:)

ncmedic964 06-12-2013 08:24 PM

The rifle is going to be a target only rifle but I fear my decision may have been made for me. I have a friend that gets a discount from his employer for the Vortex and my price after tax will be 400.00. I don't think I can pass that up.

gunnut07 06-16-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Leupold has good scopes,but they cost about 3x what they are actually worth. I'll take a Sightron SII or SIII or a top end Weaver over a Leupold scope anyday.Leupold lost my business many years ago. Their warranty isn't any better than any of these other brands,they all have lifetime warranties on their products.
I got a bad Leupold and they swore up and down it wasn't. After that I sold them all and went to Nightforce and Sightron.

While the Viper PST is a good scope the glass is just better on the sightron. I too agree with THB about the reticles as well. The MOA-2 is a damn fine target reticle but you lose it quick in a field setting because it is so fine.

Though I don't think I would pass up a PST at $400 either. It will outshine any other scope you can buy for $400 I know that.

huffmanite 06-16-2013 11:24 PM

Sorry, have no personal experience with any of the three scopes you listed. However, probably any of them would be OK. All are definitely brands with good reputations for quality and etc. and I certainly wouldn't mind owning any of them.

Just curious, with the power range you're interested in, did you ever consider a Weaver Super Slam. Own a Super Slam 6.5-20x50 myself and its optics are darn good, as well as its pull-up turret adjustments that I find both useful and right-on.

ncmedic964 06-17-2013 03:14 AM

To be honest I've never heard of it. I know weavers but not the super slam