Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > One eye or both

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default One eye or both

Since I've gotten older I've had to get glasses. I normally use one eye when looking through my scope but it's causing my eyes to hurt. I've been researching it and some say use both but others say one eye is the normal way. Just looking for opinions. I'm thinking about trying an eye patch and see if it helps.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Are you talking about 1-eye or 2-eye for self-defense situations or marksmanship?

I use 2 eyes for all of my handgun and AR shooting. I don't want to have to close one eye to be able to find my sight picture. And I've got messed up eyes (glasses and weird prism issues).

If your purpose is pure marksmanship, I think covering an eye in some way (like taping one lens of your shooting glasses) is a fine option.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I only do target shooting.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My eyesight is fubar also and in my right eye, uncorrectable. I've found I cannot wear my glasses when sighting through a scope, so they come off. I'm, unfortunately right eye dominant so I just make due with what I have to work with. Like Chris, I shoot with both eyes open with my handguns and short range rifles, but when using a scope it is the old right eye, left closed as I peep through the lens!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am a convert from one eye (in my youth) to two eyes (as a geezer).

Trijicon uses BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) as a part of their marketing.
Personally, I have found it works well for me with their Accupoint scope.
It is explained pretty well on their website.
Scroll down and see it under *Technology*

Trijicon AccuPoint®

For best pricing on Trijicon try these folks.

http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/

Be Well.

Last edited by neilage66; 09-24-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #6

Yes, growing old has its problems for us shooters. I am right handed but have a left master eye so I've always shot left handed. If I'm shooting from the bench where I can take my time I can shoot either right or left handed with both eyes open, but in the field its left eye/left handed only. My current problem is that if I take to much time looking through a scope my eye starts going blurring and imagines start to dim and lose focus.

In my younger days, I shot competitive pistol, NRA bulleye, and used a swing-away patch over my left eye so I could hold the pistol in my stronger right hand. I would think the swing-away patch that clips to shooting glasses is still available.

When I started hunting years ago, peep sights/reciever sights were very popular and most of my rifle all had receiver sights (Giving away my age). All my rifles now have scopes but I still have a .22 with a receiver sight. A few weeks ago I took the .22 to the range and was surprised how well I shot with it with no blurry vision. I think I might replace the scope on one of my deer rifles with a receiver sight and give it a try this year.
Where I hunt in Michigan the range is rarely over 100 yds.

Going back to the basics.

Jim K

Old 09-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My eyes have roughly equal dominance so even with handguns I have to kindof squint my left eye to make my brain focus on information from the right. Any time I've tried to shoot with both eyes open I literally have no control over whether my focus is on the front sight, or on the target, and it switched back and forth randomly (maybe every 5-10 seconds). So, again, I kindof squint my off eye to push focus to my right eye. However, it still allows me to see movement and stuff out of my left.

When shooting with a scope, my eyes will get sore or I'll get a headache if I try to shoot with both eyes open, given the different magnifications they are experiencing.