Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Old Weatherby 2.75x - 10x Scope (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/old-weatherby-2-75x-10x-scope-36214/)

schwefel 12-31-2010 12:34 AM

Old Weatherby 2.75x - 10x Scope

When I took dad's old reloading equipment from my mother's there was a old Weatherby scope in there. I set it to the side until I had a use for it.

Now that I retrieved my .22 (Marlin 25N) from my bother over the weekend, I have a use for it.

I cleaned up the lenses and mounted it on the .22. It appears to be a nice scope, but I am having a hard time finding out anything about it.

I do not see a model number on it, though it does say it is made in Germany, it is a 1" tube, has a 50(ish)mm main objective and is 2.75x - 10x. It is has 2 dial caps on it. One has an inner and outter ring for windage and elevation, the other is a focus ring.

What I did find was some old adverts from the mid 60's showing it basic configuration.

Anyone out there know anything about this scope? I appreciate any help/info.

Thanks

jpattersonnh 12-31-2010 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwefel (Post 411837)
When I took dad's old reloading equipment from my mother's there was a old Weatherby scope in there. I set it to the side until I had a use for it.

Now that I retrieved my .22 (Marlin 25N) from my bother over the weekend, I have a use for it.

I cleaned up the lenses and mounted it on the .22. It appears to be a nice scope, but I am having a hard time finding out anything about it.

I do not see a model number on it, though it does say it is made in Germany, it is a 1" tube, has a 50(ish)mm main objective and is 2.75x - 10x. It is has 2 dial caps on it. One has an inner and outter ring for windage and elevation, the other is a focus ring.

What I did find was some old adverts from the mid 60's showing it basic configuration.

Anyone out there know anything about this scope? I appreciate any help/info.

Thanks

Pics would really help. Your analogy of the turrets are all wrong though. Are both on top??

schwefel 12-31-2010 03:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 411894)
Pics would really help. Your analogy of the turrets are all wrong though. Are both on top??

Here the pics are.

Turrets, the name makes sense. Thanks.

As the pics show, yes, both are on top.

Thanks

jpattersonnh 12-31-2010 01:39 PM

It looks to be an old Imperial. You were correct! The Imperial did have two turrets on top as you stated. Most bases were windage adjustable, the the windage portion was for very fine tuning. Most of them have a smaller front bell and are not that high power. Cool old scope! You can find them used in the $200.00 range, but again most are not that high powered. They were ahead of there time and have very intricate internal mechanism. They were produced by Hertel & Reuss from the early '50's to early '70's. The 2 screws you see on top are used if further elevation is needed. You can zero at 100 yards, loosen the screws, lift the turret and set it to zero, that way it is simple to return it.

schwefel 12-31-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 412102)
It looks to be an old Imperial. You were correct! The Imperial did have two turrets on top as you stated. Most bases were windage adjustable, the the windage portion was for very fine tuning. Most of them have a smaller front bell and are not that high power. Cool old scope! You can find them used in the $200.00 range, but again most are not that high powered. They were ahead of there time and have very intricate internal mechanism. They were produced by Hertel & Reuss from the early '50's to early '70's. The 2 screws you see on top are used if further elevation is needed. You can zero at 100 yards, loosen the screws, lift the turret and set it to zero, that way it is simple to return it.

THNAKS!!!

I appreciate the info.

I checked GunBroker a few days ago and there was nothing. Looked again, just now, and here it is. I will keep an eye on it, just to see what it goes for. I would not say that mine is collector quality, though.

"RARE" Weatherby Imperial 2 3/4 to 10x Rifle Scope : Scopes at GunBroker.com

jpattersonnh 12-31-2010 10:41 PM

That guy wants the bidding to start at $299.00:eek:

schwefel 01-01-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 412399)
That guy wants the bidding to start at $299.00:eek:

You see that he has the BIN at $300?

I think the proper translation is "I am greedy and will not let this go for less than $300."

He would do better starting it low. Found a completed auction on eBay for the same scope. It was started at 9.99 and sold for like 315.

Whatever

jpattersonnh 01-01-2011 03:39 AM

Here is the site of a guy that knows a thing or two.
Skeeter's Weatherby - SPECIALS