Old optics
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Old optics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Old optics

Does anybody remember those old scopes that were extremely long, and were fixed power scopes like 4x, 6x, ect? I was wondering because I have always though those things look cool. They give a rifle a different look than modern scopes would give it. Can you still find these old relics? Are they reasonably priced? Where can I find one? Just wondering.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about.

66966_10150103277334408_680984407_7607841_5292933_n.jpg  
__________________

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-06-2011 at 04:10 AM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Does anybody remember those old scopes that were extremely long, and were fixed power scopes like 4x, 6x, ect? I was wondering because I have always though those things look cool. They give a rifle a different look than modern scopes would give it. Can you still find these old relics? Are they reasonably priced? Where can I find one? Just wondering.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about.
Not easy to find nor are they cheap but remakes are available check with midway usa they can help u get a replica if not an authentic one
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Does anybody remember those old scopes that were extremely long, and were fixed power scopes like 4x, 6x, ect? I was wondering because I have always though those things look cool. They give a rifle a different look than modern scopes would give it. Can you still find these old relics? Are they reasonably priced? Where can I find one? Just wondering.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about.
Here is a name for u look up leatherwood malcom scopes that should help u some
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Does anybody remember those old scopes that were extremely long, and were fixed power scopes like 4x, 6x, ect? I was wondering because I have always though those things look cool. They give a rifle a different look than modern scopes would give it. Can you still find these old relics? Are they reasonably priced? Where can I find one? Just wondering.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about.
Natchezss.com has it for $340 bucks they are just cool as hell thanks for the question I think I will get one for my 45/90 sharps yes its a real sharps. Man that would look great on her
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,897
Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

You mean like the Unertl scopes with the recoil springs? Some of those could be quite high powered (like 20X) and really pricy- $400-$1000.

unertl-scope.jpg

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,193
Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
You mean like the Unertl scopes with the recoil springs? Some of those could be quite high powered (like 20X) and really pricy- $400-$1000.

<img src="http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35804"/>
Like I.said some get high in price thats why I said leatherwood malcom scopes. Very good lookin optics. The unerti are awesome to tho like c3shooter said. They would really complete the era sharps look.
__________________
Muliemaster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
You mean like the Unertl scopes with the recoil springs? Some of those could be quite high powered (like 20X) and really pricy- $400-$1000.

<img src="http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35804"/>
Do you remember when them were new c3? Just joken mon ami they are pretty nifty and amazingly clear all things considered.
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Not easy to find nor are they cheap but remakes are available check with midway usa they can help u get a replica if not an authentic one
Replicas are fine with me. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Here is a name for u look up leatherwood malcom scopes that should help u some
I found one I like. 18" long 6x scope with rings for under $300 at midway usa.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/768788/leatherwood-hi-lux-william-malcolm-short-rifle-scope-3-4-tube-6x-16mm-18-long-fine-crosshair-reticle-with-external-ring-mounts-3-8-dovetail-brass-and-matte-steel?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Natchezss.com has it for $340 bucks they are just cool as hell thanks for the question I think I will get one for my 45/90 sharps yes its a real sharps. Man that would look great on her
No problem. I'm actually thinking of getting an old bolt action (mauser, mosin nagant, pretty much anything that was in production before 1910) to put it on. I think this would make the rifle look like an early 1900s hunting rifle. Or I may just put it on a lever action (most likely a marlin). Either way,it would also be a great conversation starter. There are not many scopes like that aroung here. It's just one of my many projects I hope to have done within the next 6 months to a year. (I'll be busy for quite a while)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You mean like the Unertl scopes with the recoil springs? Some of those could be quite high powered (like 20X) and really pricy- $400-$1000.

Attachment 35804
Those are nice, they my be a little out of my budget though. What exactly does that spring do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Do you remember when them were new c3? Just joken mon ami they are pretty nifty and amazingly clear all things considered.
I love old things like this. In fact, if you ever see my list of guns I hope get, 80%-90% of them are old guns that would qualify for C&R.
__________________

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-06-2011 at 06:04 AM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,897
Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

Tex- springs were to isolate scope from some of the recoil. Internals were somewhat fragile- zero was set on the outside of the scope, moving scope within the mounting rings, not by moving crosshairs internally.

Marlinman- hell, at my age, I am trying to remember what I came in here to do. Who are you people? What are you doing in this box on my desk?

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Tex- springs were to isolate scope from some of the recoil. Internals were somewhat fragile- zero was set on the outside of the scope, moving scope within the mounting rings, not by moving crosshairs internally.

Marlinman- hell, at my age, I am trying to remember what I came in here to do. Who are you people? What are you doing in this box on my desk?
Thats what i thought-you havent been takin your gincobolloba(spelling?)
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Optics for AR-15 Schumania Optics & Mounts 21 03-24-2012 04:28 AM
AR Optics mag318 AR-15 Discussion 3 02-25-2011 04:10 AM
AR optics Savage308 AR-15 Discussion 8 02-10-2011 04:50 PM
optics: what to do howhoo50 AR-15 Discussion 37 12-31-2010 04:52 PM
Red-Dot Optics michaelo Firearm Accessories & Gear 3 11-24-2009 06:09 PM