Oh crap!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Oh crap!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bladerunnerfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Oh crap!

yesterday I cleaned my 10/22 so I took my Tasco 3-9x40mm scope off and did my usual cleaning proccess and today when I am looking through it the crosshairs are fading out! Did I over tighten the mounting screws or what?

Edit: this will be scope #2 from Dunhams that broke..

__________________

Last edited by Bladerunnerfury; 11-03-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Bladerunnerfury is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,520
Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Default

1.Why did you remove the scope to clean the weapon?

2.Buy a quality scope for your rifle.

__________________
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bladerunnerfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

I took it off because it would hit the ground while I ram the cleaning rod through it. This is the first I had problems with a Tasco product. I shot 1500 rounds through it with my 10/22 so I don't know why I am having this problem now...

__________________
Bladerunnerfury is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunnerfury
I took it off because it would hit the ground while I ram the cleaning rod through it. This is the first I had problems with a Tasco product. I shot 1500 rounds through it with my 10/22 so I don't know why I am having this problem now...
1) NEVER EVER ram a cleaning rod through a gun.
2) never remove the scope unless you have quick detach lever style rings
3) buy a good scope
4) hang onto the gun pulling the rod out
5) buy a bore snake
6) DONT RAM A ROD DOWN THE BARREL!!!!!
Did I mention to not ram a rod down the bore???
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Geez.... All this mess...

Blade, you think you might have just knocked it out of focus? That can make the crosshairs appear very fuzzy and faint.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Geez.... All this mess...

Blade, you think you might have just knocked it out of focus? That can make the crosshairs appear very fuzzy and faint.
This is very possible.
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bladerunnerfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Yep it was way out of focus and I am NOT ramming the rod down the barrel I was just saying I cringed that last 4 times I cleaned my gun and had the scope hitting my work bench and or floor when I was moving it around.

__________________
Bladerunnerfury is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Sounds like you need a padded vise.
FWIW, there is nothing wrong with removing a scope for cleaning, so long as you don't mind resighting it when you reinstall it, and don't booger up the screws.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunnerfury
Yep its out of focus and I am NOT ramming the rod down the barrel I was just saying I cringed that last 4 times I cleaned my gun and had the scope hitting my work bench and or floor when I was moving it around.
Well you said you was ramming the rod down it I took you at your word.
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blueguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Posts: 2,001
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

1) NEVER EVER ram a cleaning rod through a gun.
2) never remove the scope unless you have quick detach lever style rings
3) buy a good scope
4) hang onto the gun pulling the rod out
5) buy a bore snake
6) DONT RAM A ROD DOWN THE BARREL!!!!!
Did I mention to not ram a rod down the bore???
What's the issue with a traditional cleaning rod?
__________________

-Matt

Blueguns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Go Ahead, Crap on My Day... TWMIM Politics, Religion and Controversy 35 10-08-2012 12:08 AM
Happier than a pig in crap Alwayscarrying 1911 Forum 6 08-19-2012 03:08 AM
Stupid crap we've all done trip286 The Club House 64 05-30-2012 06:47 PM
You know that you have a crap job when... AusLach The Club House 12 10-30-2010 06:08 PM