Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Nikon scopes for M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Nikon scopes for M1A

Anyone try out Nikon scopes for their M1A? Or any rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have had a number of Nikons. At present, I have a Pro Staff 3-9x40 on my 10/22 and a Team Primos/Monarch 3-9x40 on my Eddystone '06.

I find them rock solid, they're bright and they hold zero. I also find them an awful lot of bang for the buck.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I have had a number of Nikons. At present, I have a Pro Staff 3-9x40 on my 10/22 and a Team Primos/Monarch 3-9x40 on my Eddystone '06.

I find them rock solid, they're bright and they hold zero. I also find them an awful lot of bang for the buck.
nice I actually put that same exact Pro Staff model on my wish list. Are you hacking me? Ha just kidding. Great minds think alike, I guess.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You might want to check out the Team Primos model. Nikon discontinued the 3-9x40 Monarch and then came out with a promotional model, the "Team Primos". It's a Monarch with a different name. They cost more than the Pro Staff, but you're moving up two grades. It's Pro Staff, then Buckmaster, then Monarch. You would have to spend considerably more to get a better scope.

I kept my Scout with open sights. The M1A irons are outstanding and for a battle rifle, that's what I wanted.

Here's a Team Primos on Amazon. You can find them for less if you shop around: Amazon.com: Nikon® Team Primos® 3 - 9x40 mm BDC Rifle Scope Matte Black: Sports & Outdoors

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I love me some Nikons. I have 2 monarchs one 6.5-20x42 and one 6-24x50mm. I also have a nikon D5000 DSLR camera.

They are great scopes for the price. I buy them over Leupold. Now that I own 2 nikons I don't even look at leupolds really. You get the same quality in nikon with out the 300% markup because it has a gold ring and lays Leupold.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Hi Chris. Welcome aboard.

The only thing to shy away from when scoping any M14 variant is a side focus. In rare occurrences the forward recoil of the M14 action can whack out a side focus scope. Quality and cost of the scope does not matter when that happens.

What mount are you planning to use?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperchris View Post
Anyone try out Nikon scopes for their M1A? Or any rifle?
Before you buy...what are you going to do with the M1A? If you are going to compete, shoot long range, punch paper, etc. - your choice of optic will require more research beyond a brand name.

I have a Prostaff 3x9x50 BDC on my DPMS Lo Pro. The BDC isn't calibrated for .223 trajectory so...past 250 yds., I'm guessing trying to hold over and get a 1st round hit. This is OK, since I use the rifle for hogs, most kill shots are under 200.

Nikon makes good optics. I have two myself. The glass is very clear for the money. The new Nkon tactical line are ok as well. For the M1A, the Prostaff or Monarch Duplex or BDC reticle may be a little thick for targets out to 400 + / this isn't a problem for hunting, but, for a tactical /target application they may be unsuitable. The BDC reticle is kind of a joke.

The Prostaff lacks parallax or ocular focus adjustments, This is also a concern for long range shooting.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Hi Chris. Welcome aboard.

The only thing to shy away from when scoping any M14 variant is a side focus. In rare occurrences the forward recoil of the M14 action can whack out a side focus scope. Quality and cost of the scope does not matter when that happens.

What mount are you planning to use?
Thanks. Well I just bought a Springfield Armory 3rd gen mount on ebay for a good price. If it doesn't hold up well, I heard good reviews with the Bassett Machine mounts. I might try those out.

As far as what I plan to do with the M1A, it'll be mainly used for target shooting and quail hunting in Antelope Valley.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperchris View Post
Thanks. Well I just bought a Springfield Armory 3rd gen mount on ebay for a good price. If it doesn't hold up well, I heard good reviews with the Bassett Machine mounts. I might try those out.

As far as what I plan to do with the M1A, it'll be mainly used for target shooting and quail hunting in Antelope Valley.
The SAI 3rd Gen will "peen" out eventually. Go with the Basset.

Quail and an M1A? On the ground, right? Is that legal?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

Quail and an M1A? On the ground, right? Is that legal?
Yes, I'd be interested in this too.