Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Nikon scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreweB
My bad guys I am shooting a 30-06 180grain
I like the idea of using the caliber and loadings "maximum point blank range" (MPBR) when deciding where to zero a hunting rifle. With your load if you sight in 1.5 inches high at 200 yards you should hit within 3 inches of your POA from 0 to 269 yards. No need to worry about hold over until you exceed that range.

That should cover 99% of the shots most hunters will ever take.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #12

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
If you go to Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to take full advantage of your BDC reticle, you can check ballistic's and also put in number's to see what the drop would be at 200,300,400 and so forth depending on what zero you use. When I lived in Oregon I used a 200 yard zero, roughly 2 inches high at 100 yards because of shooting across canyon's in Eastern Ore., I moved to Maine and changed the zero to be dead on at 100 yards since the timber was thick and 200 yards was probably not going to happen.
Spot On will let you enter all your shootig info and see where you will end up, you can also print a pic of BDC reticle and distance's related to the data you entered. Very cool program with lots of info at your finger tips that will save you a bunch of $ at the range. You can even buy the app for a pad or smart phone. Free on line version at nikonhunting.com. Enjoy! Drop me a note guy's if you have any question's.
That sucks I cant use nikon's spot on program because I run ubuntu linux and linux doesnt utilize java :/

I just bought this same scope only its the .22LR rimfire version and tried to register for the spot on prog and it wouldnt work .

Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got another question... On my gun not I have a red field 3-9x40 with Leupold rings ... Do I needa get new rings for my Nikon??

Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Gh., If you have a smart phone you can buy the Spot On app for $4.99 I believe. I have missed 2 cotote's because I was playing with Spot On out in the field, checking this and trhat and dang yote's walked right up on my and I never got a shot. That being said, because of Spot On, I have yet to not have a one shot stop on a coyote when I have pulled the trigger.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/CoyoteSPrairepanther_2-2.jpg

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #15

Drew, you do not need to get new rings, as long as they are 1 inch you should be fine.

Gh., I would be happy to print you out a sheet from Spot On if you send me your contact info and the ammo you are shooting.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Drew, you do not need to get new rings, as long as they are 1 inch you should be fine.

Gh., I would be happy to print you out a sheet from Spot On if you send me your contact info and the ammo you are shooting.
hey thanks dude much appreciated HOWEVER I forgot I have a copy of Windows XP ruunning in virtual box on ubuntu and i ran it on there and it works pretty neat program too .... shows you where you're going to be at throught the different powers in the scope. although it shows the golden bullet rem one round i have at 40gr and its really 36gr but whatever ...

I'm getting a remington 597 tomorrow and I might go for the Prostaff 4x40 fixed power on that one.

The 3-9x40 is going on my 10/22 takedown .

Thanks again sir , I really appreciate you offering to print me out a sheet. I had totally forgot XP was on virtual box. I always wondered what practical application virtual box had too. I guess I just found out .
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #17

Check out the P-22 2-7 Rimfire scope. You're gonna love that lil 597, guy's I know who have one say they are very accurate.
Are you saying the bullet you have is 36 gr and Spot ON show's 40 gr for the Rem. round? We always appreciate guy's letting us know about eror's or ammo we don't have so we can constantly keep site up to date. If you noticed, we even have G7 drag tables for reloader's! What I really like about Spot On, is how easy it makes sighting in for the distance I want my zero.
Glad you were able to get things working. Nikonhunting.com, then click on Spot On logo for you guy's who have never checked out this sight. If you wonder if our BDC reticle really works, we have over 1 million registered user's so we must be doing something right!

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 10-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Check out the P-22 2-7 Rimfire scope. You're gonna love that lil 597, guy's I know who have one say they are very accurate.
Are you saying the bullet you have is 36 gr and Spot ON show's 40 gr for the Rem. round? We always appreciate guy's letting us know about eror's or ammo we don't have so we can constantly keep site up to date. If you noticed, we even have G7 drag tables for reloader's! What I really like about Spot On, is how easy it makes sighting in for the distance I want my zero.
Glad you were able to get things working. Nikonhunting.com, then click on Spot On logo for you guy's who have never checked out this sight. If you wonder if our BDC reticle really works, we have over 1 million registered user's so we must be doing something right!
Yea , ya know I saw that p-22 after I'd already bought the prostaff bdc . But I think it'll be fine nikon makes excellent optics no matter the make.

And are you with the Nikon spot on site? that's pretty cool if so . So yea The golden bullet bulk pack .22lr hp is 36gr and is not listed . I assume the 40gr is the round nose. I mean its no big deal . im sure 4 gr difference is only a couple yard difference on the reticle.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #19

Not a big difference but we like to have everything in the que. I work freelance for an advertising agency that works for Nikon so I do a lot of different things. Shooting event's,social media, Shot Show, teaching and about anything else I am asked to do....

Here's a pic of my P-22 Scopes with P-Series Mounts.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/P-22Scopesnmount.jpg

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No thanks I got the spot on app on my phone