Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Nikon prostaff 3?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Nikon prostaff 3?

So..... Went to Cabelas after work and they have a nikon prostaff 3 rangefinder for $134 in the bargain cave. I have been needing one for a while now and thought this too good of a deal to pass up. But I'm hesitant. Looked through it and a Redfield raider 600, nikon was far superior. Anyways, does anyone have have experience with the nikon? As everyone, I have a budget and don't want to buy junk. I have nikon Scopes which I am very happy with. I just don't know much about rangefinders. Any input is much appreciated

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Most range finders have a actual usable "range" from 70-90% of their claimed max distance. The laser diffuses out very large in cheaper models making it very hard to dertimine whether what you think your lasing is actually what the beam is hitting and sending back light.

Other issues with rangefinders in general is most things in the wild disperse lasers enough at distance to not return readings making it difficult to get ranges.

Whether those are factors with the nikon version I'm not sure. Mine is leupold made in the land of china.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

therewolf Likes This 
Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5506 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 4784

There's a learning curve. Ranging a tree will be different from rangina a white rock. A hard, reflective surface will give you a "true" reading. A softer or darker a surface, not so much.

Range a cow standing right beside a boulder, then range the boulder. You'll see what I mean.

Winston Churchill
therewolf Likes This 
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #4

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Most range finders have a actual usable "range" from 70-90% of their claimed max distance. The laser diffuses out very large in cheaper models making it very hard to dertimine whether what you think your lasing is actually what the beam is hitting and sending back light.

Other issues with rangefinders in general is most things in the wild disperse lasers enough at distance to not return readings making it difficult to get ranges.

Whether those are factors with the nikon version I'm not sure. Mine is leupold made in the land of china.
leupold is made in china?

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
leupold is made in china?
a good portion of their lower end stuff is. almost all their electronic components are. some of it assembled here some there.

nikon stuff is mainly made in asia phillipines i think.

its not a big issue in general so long as qc is maintained. ive never considered WHERE something is made as a big issue so long as its built to spec that the company demands.

most stuff labeled "made in the usa" isnt. its just assembled or packaged or warehoused here before being shipped out to vendors. some of it only the packaging is made in the usa and so the product gets marked such.

my leupold rangefinder is one of the better ones and hits around 85% of its advertised range capability int he wild. its got a really good ballistic drop compensator for estimating MOA. its withstood some heinous abuse including being run over by a ATV and a motorcycle... it still works great. and its stamped "made in china".

its one of the few leupold products i could recommend.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just as all high dollar German scopes use Japanese lenses.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

After owning a couple "good" range finders and learn of the short coming like not being able to get a reflection on a deer at times at 400 to 450 yards ?? maybe with a leuopold 1000 and having same luck with a "better nikon save your money for a leica crf 1600 you may not be happy.

Some glass from japan can be as good as any out there. I still hunt with to older scope made in japan. A cheap 36 years old bushnell and a first year simmons atec, stamped on both made in a japan

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-15-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #8

Liked 141 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I used a Nikon Monarch 800 rangefinder for several years and was happy with it. I gave it to a friend thinking I'd get a high dollar rangefinder like a Leica, but ended up getting a Leupold that was the same cost as my old Nikon. I don't know about the cheaper rangefinders like the Bushnell's or the Redfield, $134 sounds pretty good for a Nikon, but it might not be as good of a model as a $300 Nikon one.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, it was suppose to be $179 but the packaging was damaged so it was in the bargain cave for $136. I ended up getting it for $109 before tax. For my purposes I think it will be fine. Thanks everyone for their input.

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
After owning a couple "good" range finders and learn of the short coming like not being able to get a reflection on a deer at times at 400 to 450 yards ?? maybe with a leuopold 1000 and having same luck with a "better nikon save your money for a leica crf 1600 you may not be happy.

Don't give up on range finders just yet. Like any other technology, there is a learning curve. Learning to use a laser is like shooting. it takes some practice.

Winston Churchill