Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Nikon P-223 P-Series Rifle Scope 3X 32 BDC (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/nikon-p-223-p-series-rifle-scope-3x-32-bdc-77498/)

rpmranch 12-01-2012 10:16 PM

Nikon P-223 P-Series Rifle Scope 3X 32 BDC

Anyone out there tried one of these out yet? Looking for a Xmas present for my son......

jpattersonnh 12-01-2012 11:17 PM

You may find the BDC is more of a hindrance than a help. They tend to clutter the sight picture. Don't forget they are calibrated for a specific load and bullet weight.

scottmac 12-02-2012 12:38 PM

I have a m-223 and like it a lot. The P-223 is NOT calibrated for a specific bullet and load. (but default is 55gr ball). Nikon has a web page, PC app, and smartphone app called "Spot on" where you tell it which cartridge by which manufacturer ( as well as environmental data like temp, humidity and wind) and it will calculate the ranges for each part of each bubble of the BDC reticle.
You can check it out at nikonhunting. com.

BTW I also have a p22 and m308, they're all very nice and Spot On has been right on the money with the configs.

rpmranch 12-03-2012 12:30 PM

Thanks, I currently have an Aimpoint CompM2 but am looking for something that will give me an option to reach out past 100 yds or more.

CaptAhab 12-03-2012 05:32 PM

Scott is correct, I have a p-223 on my M&P sport and I love it. Decide what ammo you are going to use and go to the Nikon website and it will give you a table that you can print out for that particular round. It is very accurate.

Squawk 12-03-2012 05:40 PM

I've owned 2 Nikon BDC scopes. In theory they are nice but I much prefer a Mildot or fine crosshair sight. The BDC is too cluttered IMO

scottmac 12-03-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1037163)
I've owned 2 Nikon BDC scopes. In theory they are nice but I much prefer a Mildot or fine crosshair sight. The BDC is too cluttered IMO

Well, in practice (no theory about it) they are nice, if they're what you're looking for (in my case, it is).

If the OP looks at them and decides they fit his need in a format he likes, then it's a good fit.

I have three Nikon BDC scopes, and in addition to being a pretty decent scope for the money, they use a common application (that I have on my phone) for ballistic info.

I appreciate that you have tried them and prefer something else, but it won't necessarily be the case for everyone.

locutus 12-04-2012 03:54 PM

You can't go wrong with that scope, or any other Nikon for that matter.

Personally, I prefer the ACOG, but they're pricey.

Stillersfan 12-04-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmranch (Post 1036871)
Thanks, I currently have an Aimpoint CompM2 but am looking for something that will give me an option to reach out past 100 yds or more.

Have you considered a magnifier? There are a few on the market that are low cost and will accent what you already have. just my $.02 :)

rpmranch 12-06-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillersfan (Post 1038427)
Have you considered a magnifier? There are a few on the market that are low cost and will accent what you already have. just my $.02 :)

I have considered it, but if I did I would like to get the aimpoint magnifier and not some imposter but I cannot justify the cost of a 3X @ 500 bucks. I take my AR with me in the tractor for yotes and sometimes they are too far out for a red dot....The only thing I dont like about the Nikon is the mounting system, looking for a quick detach system. Guess I will check with Larue...

Thanks