Nikon P-223 or M-223 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Nikon P-223 or M-223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing to consider about the Nikon mount is it is not a one piece mount. The rails are seperate from the unit that includes the rings, and it can easily be installed in a cock-eyed fashion, windage-wise. The cradle part that grips the scope will not automatically align correctly with the rails that grip your Picatinny. This can be corrected easily enough, but you might consider a true one piece design such as the version offered by Leupold.

I recently decided to switch over to the riser/extender type bases offered by Leupold and EGW, as they let you keep regular Picatinny rings on the scope. This allows me to swap my scope around to AR's or bolt actions equipped with Picatinny's very easily, or to tweak the height of the scope by using different rings. With the one piece mounts, you have to remove the scope from the rings on the integral base-rings units before you mount them on your bolt action. If your scope will not be moved from rifle to rifle, the one piece bases are probably lighter, cheaper, and more convenient.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

one neat thing about nikon's spot on and bdc reticle is if you spend the time with the software and your printer you can pull up holdovers for each magnification. i know with scopes and hunting im either at max zoom or minimum zoom seldom anything in between.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

Slack, I started using BDC reticle scopes before they it the market many years ago as a kind of test dummy, if you will. Anyway, I was hunting in KS on relatives property, had a doe walk out in front of mt less the 50 yards with another same sized doe. I decided we have 5 doe tags to fill, better start here. I shot the first one and the second hauled butt across the cut field and stopped right next to a cedar bush I had ranged at 427. I figured what the heck.With my .300 Win. zeroed for 200 I dropped to second circle and down she went. I was a believer from then on. Now that we have Spot On to enter more exact shooting data the accuracy is so much better. This year back in Ks. I made my longest harvest ever. 586 yards, again using Spot On and a .300 win mag. Now the proof is in my freezer. Spot On is very easy to navigate and you can even buy app's for your ipads or tablets. Otherwise, just register and it's free to use. Even set up for handloaders as well.
Drop me a note with any question's guys.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff