Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > is nightforce good for the price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If y'all can find a Nightforce scope for $1,000, would you please let me know? Cause the lowest I see on Optics Planet is over $1,200, and that's in a focal range/length that I would not be interested in for either hunting OR benchrest!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #12

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
If y'all can find a Nightforce scope for $1,000, would you please let me know? Cause the lowest I see on Optics Planet is over $1,200, and that's in a focal range/length that I would not be interested in for either hunting OR benchrest!
Hey lon, try looking around in here. These folks consider Night Force scopes a intermediate level scope for the most part and there are from time to time very good deals on them here.

Optics For Sale - Sniper's Hide Forums

Last edited by mrm14; 08-24-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Hey lon, try looking around in here. These folks consider Night Force scopes a intermediate level scope for the most part and there are from time to time very good deals on them here.

Optics For Sale - Sniper's Hide Forums
Duly noted, I'm thinking about new as opposed to "pre-owned." If they consider Nightforce intermediate level....what brands do they think are better? I haven't been on that forum.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5318 Times on 2776 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Duly noted, I'm thinking about new as opposed to "pre-owned." If they consider Nightforce intermediate level....what brands do they think are better? I haven't been on that forum.
things like this:

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
things like this:
Please elaborate!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Frankly the average hunter/weekend shooter doesn't get much exposure to high-end scopes ... they aren't sold in big box stores or the average gunshop. It is easier to come across top-end Leupolds and Nightforce so those seem like the top of the heap but there are better scopes out there.

Hensoldt or Schmidt & Bender are usually considered to be the very best. It can be argued the Premier Reticle makes a scope that is very comparable to S&B.
Others that get high grades with price tags over $2k are US Optics and March. USO is most frequently compared to NF because they are both made in the USA but USO cost a bit more.
IOR also makes a couple scopes in the $1500 range that people compare to NF.

Glass quality is always brought up as the big difference but the actually sight image is very subjective. One person may prefer the view through an inexpensive scope, and proclaim it is "the best" while another prefers the most expensive... people need to buy what provides their eye with the best image. A detailed look at a scope's features can make the price difference even more apparent or appealing.

Here are two articles on high optics, Ilya Koskin's High end tactical scopes part II

and Zak Smith's Optics for long-range rifle shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
things like this:

Really?? I doubt anybody on SH would rate a Hawke over Nightforce.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

im just referring to the wheel not the scope heh. prolly a bad joke

the issue i have with my leupold mk4 is the glass isnt as clear as it should be. the clicks stop to stop are kinda iffy at best.

it is a rugged scope but i wish i had spent the $$ on a nightforce.

just the little things.

im not sure what would be better than a nightforce.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Oh, puh-leeze. Then why would you say Nightforce is worth the money?
Because they are worth what they cost,but I don't need FFP in my optics,I do just fine with SFP.

Anyway,who just had to put a Swaro on their new Cooper????

Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Front focal is really nice for using your mildots under any magnification. Without it generally but not always the scopes lowest setting is where the mildots work.

If your going to use the dots for windage and elevation snap adjustments on targets that are moving or may appear only briefly you want front focal. Only peeps that really need that level of versatility are real military snipers in a war zone. Or in case shtf...

My mk4 m1 leupold is not a front focal and for range use and hunting its just fine. At the time bamster wasnt even a thought we were still in bush's first term and he hadnt started the massive borrowing obama took off and ran it in for a touchdown with...

Today my next scope will be a front focal of some type cuz shtf is more liekly than ever