Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > night vision scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default night vision scope

Hey All,
Might be a dumb question but can a night vision scope be used for daylight hunting also?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

"We must indeed hang together or assuredly we will all hang seperately."
Ben Franklin

"Those who would make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Yes

You just have to have the lense cover with a very small hole in it I believe. That is what we used to do with out NVG's for screwing around in the daylight..

Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Resolution still sucks, just like it does with the night vision at night. If you're looking of an NV setup, I'd get a daylight scope that has the option of an attached image intensifier.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #4

I just got an ATN Gen 1 today, works pretty good at night probably out to 200yrds, not sure on that just guessing on how far away my barn is. During Daylight not quite as far clearly.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #5

I ranged my barn today when I went to shoot, 202yrds, my N/V scope doesnt work the crosshairs will not move when adjustin them.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default yukon nvrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
I ranged my barn today when I went to shoot, 202yrds, my N/V scope doesnt work the crosshairs will not move when adjustin them.
hey i got the yukon nvrs 2.5x50 let me say for a generation 1 it is like night and day lol i did a lot of research talked to many dealers and all went the way of yukon over atn. i also spent four hrs on the phone with jeff one of the top dawgs at yukon which let me say the guy was great atn gave me five minutes getting answers to questions as this was my first nightvision. i have ranged it to about 175yds in total darkness and it comes with a pin hole in the cover for daytime. it is a clear at night as any gen 2or 3 i have seen and a whole lot cheaper at 451 bucks. from what i get the generations are more for distance like a 2 is about a 200 to 250 yd and so on till you get to the cghts and then it is green vs black and white now i could be wrong lol.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a gen 1 rifle scope and gen 3 gogles. It would be posible to use the scope in the day time, but it is nothing I would ever want to do. Also the difference between gen 1 and gen 3 is great so if you buy nite vision get the best you can afford. I got the rifle scope first and when I stepped up to gen 3 I when with gogles and use a lazer sight on the rifle, as a matter of fact I have lazers on an AR, a 10-22 ans a Ruger MK 11 handgun that I use at nite for different things. Another reason to use gogles is that you don`t have to point your gun at something to see what it is, alot safer.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #8

Default nv

I am new to the idea of nv. Does a person need to have night vison goggles to use a night vison rifle scope ? Or can you use an NV rifle scope w/o nv goggles ?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #9

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

lobster, yes you can

Old 11-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #10

Default night vison

Good,,, I thought so, just wanted to confirm what I thought. I would like to get a night vison scope to hunt coyotes w/. I have been doing some research and I have found the an/pvs -22 looks realy good but is way expensive (gen 3 ). Any suggestions as a substitute that is of good , beefy quality. It is an expensive endeavor no matter how you swing it. I get that, I just can not afford the pvs-22 and would welcome some experienced suggestions. Thanks