Night vision scope - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Night vision scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Prices are finally coming down into the "semi-reasonable" range for these things. for 150 yds and non-critical accuracy (ie, hogs) you can do ok with moonlight and ($150, drop in) luminous inserts for iron sights (on military style autorifles, at least), with a $200 passive IR monocular to "scan" with, and get you "focused" on a a given animal.

Last edited by bonney; 12-12-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericreed22 View Post
Hey guys. I'm trying to find a good night vision (Gen. 1) scope for Texas hogs. I had an ATM MK350 in the past, and I sold it. No matter what I did, it wouldn't hold a zero. I've heard all good things about the MK350 though. Did I just get a bad one? Any other suggestions for around $500?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post
Hello there, at this price range you can only get Gen 1 scope which is not the best obviously, but it is usable for about 100-150 yards. You need to make sure there is some ambient light though like few stars in the sky at least. I was looking for the night vision scope myself just recently, and the guy at optics planet recommended the new brand called Armasight, they have a couple of models just under the $500, and he said they get good feedback. So I'm thinking about it now, and if I get one I'll get back with my comments on it.

Ok, so here I'm back with my comments. I did some more research and finally decided to try this Armasight Orion scope with 4x magnification. I didn't buy it at OP though, found a better deal on Amazon about a month ago. The scope looks a little bulky, but for the money I would say it's still a good deal. So far it works really well, I can identify hog size objects up to 120-150 yards. I wish I could afford thermal scope but as few guys mentioned above I can only dream about it like most of us. So for now I'll stick with my Orion 4x for $470.. lol

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I heard with gen 1 you can see nothing in the full darkness

Last edited by Maximilian; 03-22-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

haha, dude it 100% depends on manufaturer! anyway, try IR and don't snuffle

Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I heard with gen 1 you can see nothing in the full darkness
I think it is an exaggeration, gen 1+ is not that bad, especially for amateur use, and the most important for limited budget! We'll see how long will my Orion last, but for now I'm happy with it

Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Hey, guys, I just came back from 4 days trip into the deep forest where we had to live in dugouts..first we digged them of course.. that was really really difficult... it was a sort of a game but a very very difficult game.. it was my first experience of this kind of training. Our platoon had to secure a certain perimeter and another military unit tried to attack us.. we didn't know in which of these days we would be attacked that's why we slept in turns 2-3 hours a day only.. our task was to secure our colonel and their task was to steal him.. As we are in OPTICS thread I can also say that we used night vision too.. it was cool)) After we met the attack.. and the finishing of this 4 days torture was 32 kilometres forced march ( accelerated march).. on the last 4 kilometres 9 soldiers flacked out.. and this is going to be now every 3 mounth..
91e3c9dbe46b-15.jpg  

Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #17

Liked 231 Times on 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian
Hey, guys, I just came back from 4 days trip into the deep forest where we had to live in dugouts..first we digged them of course.. that was really really difficult... it was a sort of a game but a very very difficult game.. it was my first experience of this kind of training. Our platoon had to secure a certain perimeter and another military unit tried to attack us.. we didn't know in which of these days we would be attacked that's why we slept in turns 2-3 hours a day only.. our task was to secure our colonel and their task was to steal him.. As we are in OPTICS thread I can also say that we used night vision too.. it was cool)) After we met the attack.. and the finishing of this 4 days torture was 32 kilometres forced march ( accelerated march).. on the last 4 kilometres 9 soldiers flacked out.. and this is going to be now every 3 mounth..
Huh???????

Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yea, the gen 1's go back years! The more ambient light (clear starlit night) the better it works. With the $ for thermal vision I could buy a .50 caliber !! And feed it well!! I would try to find a used one of higher quality. GOOD LUCK.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7967 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 7696

[QUOTE=Maximilian;1191000 . and this is going to be now every 3 mounth..[/QUOTE]

You need to run 10 Km with a pack every day for a week before the drill!

Or at least they did before political correctness

Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
You need to run 10 Km with a pack every day for a week before the drill!
We run 3 every day