Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Are night sights worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Depends on your skill level and intended usage. My typical ccw gun i dont really use the sights. Target shooting i do. There is no real disadvantage tactically to having them other than being sure they are installed properly.

Most smiths will just use a hammer and punch to drive em home. This is not good since its easy to damage the tritium vials doing that and all of a sudeen one has a minro crack you go to shoot and get a puff of poison gas in your face.

Nite sights MUST be installed using a sight pusher NEVER a hammer and punch. Before you get em installed ask the person if they are using a sight pusher for front and rear

Excellent points. Since I had mine installed at the factory I never thought about it. But that is an important point.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #32

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Personally if I think I might need night sites I'll just throw a laser on the gun. In daytime getting sites lined up should not be a problem but at night, throw low visibility in with a stressful situation you need every edge you can get. That and often times a laser will scare off whoever you may end up drawing down on.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #33

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

On the flip side of that same statement. Using a laser will identify to the BG exactly where you are and he should aim. At that point it comes down to your ooda loop and how quickly you assess, identify, make a decision, then act.

I personally like my night sites. Easy target acquisition-day or night. Not to mention no "tell" of location.

It really does come down to training and level of understanding, comfort in use of firearm, and personal mindset.

In the end "to each their own". Good luck!!