Are night sights worth it? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Are night sights worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I used to be a night sight convert but then someone much greater than I explained it this way to me.

If you're using night sights (tritium), and running a flashlight on the weapon, or in home defense, plan to use a flashlight to illuminate the target, then the night sights appear black, against the beam.
If you're using a flashlight, then get a fiber optic front sight which will grab that ambient light and illuminate with a flashlight much better than a night sight will.

He actually recommended a fiber optic front sight, with blacked out rear sights, for quicker target acquisition in low to dark lighting. It's quicker since you're going off the front sight dot and not lining up a 3 dot front and rear setup, which isn't really necessary for home defense and self defense distances...

But in a true home or self defense situation, even with some sort of prior training or role playing, it is doubtful that one would have the time or patience to line up sights. Anticipating that one's adrenaline would be pumping full stream and would have limited time to prepare mentally. Isn't that why range time is so important?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #22

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valechris33

But in a true home or self defense situation, even with some sort of prior training or role playing, it is doubtful that one would have the time or patience to line up sights. Anticipating that one's adrenaline would be pumping full stream and would have limited time to prepare mentally. Isn't that why range time is so important?
I can tell you one thing I personally will be aiming. Especially the first trigger pull now after that and with some one shooting back it would be hard on follow up shots but at least you know your lined up. I practice aiming on only the first shot every box of ammo or so. I get pretty decent groupings.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by valechris33 View Post
Simply put, Are night sights worth getting?
Let me put it like this. I have 40+ years in LE and if I knew I was going to be in a 'low light' gunfight and I had to chose between a ballistic vest and night sights, I would chose the night sights!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.
locutus Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #24

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Not really. If it's so dark that you can't see your sights, it's too dark to be accurate anyway.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 04-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

We had several officers who actually shot better at their night shooting qual than they did when they shot in the daylight! One of the points I make in my classes about night sights is 'you MUST have a good hand held light to ID your target if you use night sights because you will probably hit what you are shooting at with the night sights'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6574 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 6217

If it's in my home, there will be enough ambient light to see at least the outline of the target. The tritium sight allows me to service the target precisely. "Nuff said!

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #27

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've always been a fan of NS. Both sets I've had have been MeproLights and can be seen across the room. I've also shot at night, I'd herd rumors that after the first shot they couldn't be seen because of the muzzle flashes effect on your eyes, I found this to be a myth.
They definitely don't hurt and if they can provide help in a sticky situation, even once that's great.
Personally I like options..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

locutus Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #28

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Low light and night sights are great if you can see your target. I believe that laser sights provide a bit of an edge over night sights. Laser sights may also be enough deterrent to prevent firing your weapon. As usual, it depends on the situation.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 AM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by valechris33 View Post
Simply put, Are night sights worth getting?
Depends on what you are replacing. I have a BG 380 that the sights were improved tremendously when swapped with Big Dot sights. The Kahr I carry, I don't see as much of a need.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Depends on your skill level and intended usage. My typical ccw gun i dont really use the sights. Target shooting i do. There is no real disadvantage tactically to having them other than being sure they are installed properly.

Most smiths will just use a hammer and punch to drive em home. This is not good since its easy to damage the tritium vials doing that and all of a sudeen one has a minro crack you go to shoot and get a puff of poison gas in your face.

Nite sights MUST be installed using a sight pusher NEVER a hammer and punch. Before you get em installed ask the person if they are using a sight pusher for front and rear

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This