Are night sights worth it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Are night sights worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Interesting question, not too different than the use of a laser on a handgun. I was looking for a set to replace regular sights on my new CC weapon. The prices are a bit steep on true night sights, the cheap ones do not work that well.

But the truth be told, all night sights need to be charged before use and since they will sit in a dark holster tucked under a coat or shirt, you will need a flashlight to charge them before use.

Then if you have a flashlight in one hand and the gun in the other, why would you need night sights?

Jim
Tritium night sights do not need to be charged at all. They are filled with a small amount of a radioactive isotope of hydrogen that reacts with a coating inside the capsule. You could leave them in a light proof box for months, even years, and they would still be luminescent. We aren't talking about glow in the dark crayons here.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

All my Glocks have Meprolights and lately my Shield just got TruGlo on it. As the other member said, ask yourself do you need it? As for me, having it is an advantage for the user, so why not having it.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3

Yeah but at that distance your muscle memory should be established enough sighting shouldn't be nessasary
Good point, If you can't see you sights how can you see your target? Muscle memory should take over. Night sights may help you find your gun in the dark lol. That being said I like tru glo; they glo night or day.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #14

Liked 388 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Like any other tool, you don't need them till you need them.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #15

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

All my pistols have night sights. I actually look to make sure they already have them before I buy a new one now. I'm a hunter and out in the woods in low light. As for self defense they aren't for no light situations. In pitch black you can see your sights great too bad you can't see your target. You should invest more in a flashlight (mounted or handheld) first. Nights sights are better for quick acquisition or if you had to fire in a situation where you couldn't get a full draw. You can still see where the gun is pointing from any angle.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7181 Times on 4322 Posts
Likes Given: 8763

I have night sights on my Sig. While I like them, I'm not sure I'll need them in a life or death situation.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #17

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

Night sights are like good headings once you have them there's no going back. Can I get a " hell ya" night sights on ally pistols

Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #18

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I say yes.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #19

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

Bought new replacements for the glock30 and wow you don't notice they begin to fade after like fifteen years or so, matched up with another gun. It is awesome new sight are very bright.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #20

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I used to be a night sight convert but then someone much greater than I explained it this way to me.

If you're using night sights (tritium), and running a flashlight on the weapon, or in home defense, plan to use a flashlight to illuminate the target, then the night sights appear black, against the beam.
If you're using a flashlight, then get a fiber optic front sight which will grab that ambient light and illuminate with a flashlight much better than a night sight will.

He actually recommended a fiber optic front sight, with blacked out rear sights, for quicker target acquisition in low to dark lighting. It's quicker since you're going off the front sight dot and not lining up a 3 dot front and rear setup, which isn't really necessary for home defense and self defense distances...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...