Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Are night sights worth it? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/night-sights-worth-89360/)

valechris33 04-22-2013 11:18 PM

Are night sights worth it?

Simply put, Are night sights worth getting?

Axxe55 04-22-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valechris33 (Post 1223546)
Simply put, Are night sights worth getting?

depends on what your needs are. personally i like them and have them on a couple of firearms. only you can justify whether they are worth the difference in price and would aid your shooting ability or if they would suit your particualr needs.

mountainman13 04-22-2013 11:50 PM

I will not carry a gun that doesn't have them. A dark alleyway at knife point is no time to learn you can't make out your sights.

Wiseman3 04-22-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
I will not carry a gun that doesn't have them. A dark alleyway at knife point is no time to learn you can't make out your sights.

Yeah but at that distance your muscle memory should be established enough sighting shouldn't be nessasary

DrumJunkie 04-23-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman3 (Post 1223588)
Yeah but at that distance your muscle memory should be established enough sighting shouldn't be nessasary

Average SD distances really make using any sights not the most sound thinking. At 7-10 yds you should be able to bring your weapon up and hit your target without needing to take the time to sight it like you would for targets. That being said I can live with or without night sights on a SD pistol. Now if you want to make sure you can shoot past normal SD distances they can become a valuable asset. I usually will make sights easier to see but night sights are not a must for me. But I do have very good night time/ low light vision. That is not the case for everyone.

valechris33 04-23-2013 12:28 AM

Thanks. I think they look cool. But I cant think of any self defense situation where sights, much less night sights would be advantageous.

locutus 04-23-2013 05:07 AM

I have XS Express Big-Dot night sights on all of my SD and HD weapons. www.xssights.com

In my opinion, they would be a bargain at twice the price!:)

Flatman6 04-23-2013 05:16 AM

If all they can be is an advantage and there isn't any negative impact to having them, then why wouldn't you get them?

bigjim 04-23-2013 05:26 AM

Interesting question, not too different than the use of a laser on a handgun. I was looking for a set to replace regular sights on my new CC weapon. The prices are a bit steep on true night sights, the cheap ones do not work that well.

But the truth be told, all night sights need to be charged before use and since they will sit in a dark holster tucked under a coat or shirt, you will need a flashlight to charge them before use.

Then if you have a flashlight in one hand and the gun in the other, why would you need night sights?

Jim

getem2011 04-23-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valechris33
Thanks. I think they look cool. But I cant think of any self defense situation where sights, much less night sights would be advantageous.

I think you answered your own question and I agree.