Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Newbie help with scope please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie help with scope please.

I have a Browning BL 22 Class 1 manufactured in 1992. I want to purchase a scope for it, but have no idea where to begin. I would like a decent yet affordable scope.

Here is the link to the gun details.
BL-22, Grade I, , Browning Firearms Product

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Lots of ways to answer this one, so I'll stay very short.

Are you primarily hunting with it? How far are your typical shots?

If so, the best bang for your buck is one of the Leupolds. I prefer lower power scopes, so use their old 1-4's and 2-7X33's on several rifles. The 2-7 Rifleman is a great scope for usually less than $200. Wally World usually has these, near me.

The new Weaver scopes are pretty amazing, too. They are a bit less than the comparable Leupold. If they still offer it, they had a very nice 1-3 a couple of years back. My buddy uses one on his .350 Rem Mag. Great scope out to 200 yards, or so.

Hunting season is too short to rely on anything less than these scopes, in my opinion. I hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Don't even look at them crapy Leupold rifleman scopes. They are total junk. Seen three of them just fall apart.

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Me I would go with a good mid grade scope from Weaver or Nikon. Seeing as the rifles has a nice glossy finish get a glossy scope. How much power do you want. A 4x would work well on this outfit, or a 2-7 or 3-9. Unless your like me and like scopes that are over 10x My lowest power scope is the 4-16x40mm on my Remington 511-x My other rimfire has a $200 Weaver Kt-15 scope on it. Gun = $100. I just got a new to me Mossberg M 46(b) b and it is going to get a nice scope on it as well.

The scopes above are in the $150 to $200 range maybe a little more. If you do not want to spend that much on them try looking into Mueller. They are low cost but high on performance. I know a bunch of hard core varmint hunters that swear by them.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Be aware that your rifle has a flaw and as acting disposal center, it should be sent to me right away for improper disposal and use. Seriously, You would be served good by an 4x RIMFIRE scope which comes from factory parallax adjusted REGARDLESS of brand. Having said that, Nikon or Weaver both make scopes in that class and only run a little over 100$. By the way, I'm typing this in library since we're STILL WAITING on the power to come back on. Neil