New Varmit / Target Scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > New Varmit / Target Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default New Varmit / Target Scope

Neil Seastalkingbear has picked up a Marlin 22/250 X7VH and is working his magic on it for me. I am wondering what glass set up to get and would like to hear from other members about what worked, what was sold as great but actually sucks, and so on.

I will be loading my own ammo, and will be target shooting out to around 600 yards / meters as well as removing prairie rats from the eco system out to about the same distance. Good Lord guiding my shooting that is!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try and keep this part of the project under $700.

Sua Sponte!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

For just a little more,you can really get a vastly better quality optic.
I prefer the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes,depending on which style,they run from $750-850. Or the Sightron SII Big Sky scopes are also very nice,but have 1" main tubes,so you don't have as much adjustment range.
The Weaver Super Slam or Tactical lines are also very nice scopes that come in 3-15x50 or 4-20x50. The glass is excellent in these,and the Tactical and Euro versions have First Focal Plane reticles in them as well as 30mm main tubes.
The Vortex Viper and Viper PST scopes have a big following,but IMO,their glass isn't as good as the scopes listed above.But,they do have other extras that the others don't offer.
The Ziess Conquest is also an excellent scope,and has some of the brightest glass in this price class,but it lacks adjustment ability with a 1" main tube.

For scopes under $1k,these are the ones that I'd suggest.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #3

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-mrad-reticle/reticle

These can be had from most dealers for $949.00 at this time. These are a good quality entry level precision rifle scope that track well and offer good bang for your buck. Mill reticle and Mill knobs.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

+ 1 on the Zeiss Conquest line; excellent product that I've used with success.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks folks, this is exactly what I needed to know. I love my Conquest! However, my concern with one was that the cross hair stays the same width, and I was afraid that might cover up a small target. Like a Prairie Dog head at extended range.

That said, it appears that I will just have to drive a few more miles, and spend a few more green dollars. Any advice on rings for the same scopes? I know to do a lap job and torque properly.

It's been ten years since I lost most of my firearms in a fire, and I am really looking forward to this project. I lost a 22/250 Remington in it that I had from way back and am really looking forward to getting out with one and popping a few song dogs, etc.

Sua Sponte!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #6

Warne rings have served me well though it's been about 3 years since I've shopped/researched them.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Patrick Sperry Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks JP! Just had two troops from the 173rd get off the truck after OTR training that had been there in Afghanistan. Thank you for your service!

Sua Sponte!

jp_over Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #8

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

http://badgerordnance.com/30mm-scope-rings/

Old 04-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I only use Burris Signature Zee rings on my optics anymore.
They are the best rings that I've ever used. I use them on 22's - 300WM's.
No lapping,and absolutely no scope rings ever on your optics. Plus with the different insert's,you can have 0,+/-10 moa,or +/-20 moa without using a rail base.Or they can be used to align a scope due to the receiver holes not being true to the bore of the barrel.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I only use Burris Signature Zee rings on my optics anymore.
They are the best rings that I've ever used. I use them on 22's - 300WM's.
No lapping,and absolutely no scope rings ever on your optics. Plus with the different insert's,you can have 0,+/-10 moa,or +/-20 moa without using a rail base.Or they can be used to align a scope due to the receiver holes not being true to the bore of the barrel.
+1, one these.

Joe