Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > New scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default New scope

So I've got a tasco that's really not the right scope for me. I dont know whos good manufacturer wise and who to steer clear from. I've seen a couple BSA Scopes on sierra trading post that are pretty cheap...but I've never heard of them. Then there's Nikon and Leupold but I want to pay for quality not a name. Also, if I tried to sell my scope (Tasco world class 3.5-12x50) how much could I get?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

It depends on how much you want to spend.Good optics cost money,buy the best that you can afford or save for a while and get what you actually want.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #3

Well $100-200 tops. There's a BSA 3-9x 40 for $75. Like I said I never heard of them. And I don't know where to look to find who makes good optics over crappy ones. I know each manufacturer has its high end lines and low end ones.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Generally quality =$.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

That's not a bad cheap scope you have use it and save for what crave

Old 09-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyeborn
That's not a bad cheap scope you have use it and save for what crave
Its not working for me. I've got it back as far as I can and I still have to come forward on the stock. The eye relief sucks.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #7

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you want to stay with a scope in the 3-12 power range then consider a Weaver 40/44 model 3.8-12x44. This particular 40/44 has an aspherical lens design.....darn good optics for clarity and etc. and its made in the Philippines. Presently, Natchez Shooters Supply has reduced price on this model to $140 (plus around $14 shipping/insurance). Checked some other internet sellers of this scope and found it selling for over $200.

I've no problem with buying a BSA scope for my centerfire rifles. Matter of fact, most of my last 7 or so scope purchases have been a BSA. My BSA's cost around $110 to $190. Suggest you consider one of the BSA Majestic DX Hunter scopes. This particular model was introduced late 2010 (one of their so called C.E.O warranty scopes) and replaced an earlier Majestic scope model. So be sure it has DX or Hunter in the name. Decent optics in it and priced from about $110 to $150, depending on its power. Have a couple of these in 6-24x44 and they've performed quite well for me.

For me, I've no complaint about the eye relief in my Weaver 40/44 and BSA Majestic DX scopes.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #8

Thanks! The BSA I found I don't think is the one you're taking about. Heres a link to it http://m.sierratradingpost.com/mobile/bsa-optics-majestic-rifle-scope-illuminated-reticle-waterproof-fogproof-3-9x40~p~3605a/?r=binoculars-and-scopes~d~54%2F The tasco I have says its got 3" of eye relief but I call BS on that. When I come up to my rifle where it feels natural I have to move an inch forward to have a good picture. I move more than an inch more forward and its half obscured. Ill look into weaver tho!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1813 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
Thanks! The BSA I found I don't think is the one you're taking about. Heres a link to it http://m.sierratradingpost.com/mobile/bsa-optics-majestic-rifle-scope-illuminated-reticle-waterproof-fogproof-3-9x40~p~3605a/?r=binoculars-and-scopes~d~54%2F The tasco I have says its got 3" of eye relief but I call BS on that. When I come up to my rifle where it feels natural I have to move an inch forward to have a good picture. I move more than an inch more forward and its half obscured. Ill look into weaver tho!
I quit buying from Sierra a long time ago. A lot of their stuff is 2nds and 3rds. I dont trust anything from them. Look at SWFA, Optics Planet or even Amazon.
You might also look into the Redfields, Bushnell Trophy, Vortex and Burris.
Here is a link for the BSA DX.http://swfa.com/BSA-Majestic-DX-Riflescopes-C3477.aspx
You can use the link to look up the other scopes then shop the price.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
Nope, that is the older model of BSA Majestic. The DX Hunter version replaced it.

Here is one I own. LOL, its priced around $40 less than what I paid...may have to buy one myself.