New to AR15's/ruger556
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > New to AR15's/ruger556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to AR15's/ruger556

I am new to shooting AR 15's. I am planning on buying a Ruger 556e. This particular gun does not come with any optic sights. I am buying this gun because of the price and the options I will have to custom fit the gun myself. The question I have is what sight should I buy? I will be shooting the gun mainly at my local range. I know I will not be a crack shot but I want to eventually work up to the point to shoot up to 200 yds or so away. So I need to know what sight should I look to buy? I have a budget that I would like to stay in, 100-250 max. I would like to be in the middle. I realize that this is not alot of money to buy much but I need an entry level sight. Also which sight red dot, etc would work best?

Thanks, Mark

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 688

well the cheapest route will probly be iron sights. and at that range they can be fairly accurate. but if you must have magnification, try to find a nikon 2x7 or 3x9 scope. that should do just perfect. RDS, acogs, and holographics. would run a little more than your budget allows for a decent quality one. if you can manage to save a little more money. you can probly find an eotech for 320 and up.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

If you decide to go the red dot route, I'd recommend the Aimpoint Pro Aimpoint PRO at G&R Tactical. Very good site for the money. I have one on my latest build and my wife loves shooting with it.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Mark, that is a flat top receiver and would work well with a scope. the flat top receivers were just made for scopes! i would put the best scope for the money on it. at the $200-300 range, you should be able to find a nice scope that will work very well out 200-400 yards. welcome to the forum.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #5

Default thanks for the info

All this info was great, now any websites or ideas on the best pricing??

Old 10-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorintraining View Post
All this info was great, now any websites or ideas on the best pricing??
try Midway, Natchez's, MidSouth Shooters Supply, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's. all of these carry the name brand scopes at reasonable prices. as far as brands of scopes, try Nikon, Swift, Vortex, Osprey, Bushnell, Weaver, Barsksa ect. good hunting.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

First of all CONGRATS on the purchase of the SR556, its a fine rifle.

Here's mine:
Sr556 with ACOG

I also have a SR556C:

Before I got the ACOG I purchased the LaRue mount. My situation was that I already had some Burris Extreme low rings and had a low cost Simmons 3-9x50mm scope. I knew I could not mount the scope directly with the rings, I heard the Larue mounts was rock solid so I went this way and got the benefit of quick disconnect as well.
LaRue Tactical OBR QD Scope Mount | LaRue Tactical

I have found the Larue mount to be return to zero when I have taken it off and back on. I have also found the scope and rings to work well. The 'cheap' Simmons has held up very well to the SR556's soft recoil. The SR556 and SR556C has a lot softer recoil than my Colt LE6920.

Here is my SR556 with the Simmons 3-9x50mm scope and Larue quick disconnect mount with burris extreme rings:

This way, using the setup I described above, its still part of my system in case anything was to ever happen to my ACOG I still have an emergency optic I can use.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #8

Default Bushnell Trophy scope?

Your guns are awesome, thanks for the info, hey I have been looking at the Bushnell trophy, there are 2 models, one is like 90 bucks and the other is 150. Are they any good? I want to shoot at distances maybe up to 150 yds to start out? I need a cheaper starting scope..

Old 10-11-2011, 03:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorintraining View Post
Your guns are awesome, thanks for the info, hey I have been looking at the Bushnell trophy, there are 2 models, one is like 90 bucks and the other is 150. Are they any good? I want to shoot at distances maybe up to 150 yds to start out? I need a cheaper starting scope..
bushnell is a good decent scope, and should be capable of 150 yrds. i just bought a Swift scope for my 308 rifle, paid $245+ tax. has good clear optics, haven't sighted it in since having it mounted, but it's the second one i have bought and have another one mounted on my 7mm-08 rifle, and i really like it. you could buy as much scope as you can afford right now and upgrade later when you have the money to do so.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
hmh

Liked 148 Times on 102 Posts

Try swfa.com