Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Needing knowledge about scopes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/needing-knowledge-about-scopes-48797/)

kymike 09-25-2011 03:52 PM

Needing knowledge about scopes

I recently bought a bushnell banner 4x16-40, I have never had any problems from the bushnell scopes that I have or have had. Most if them were 3x9-40 with just crosshairs. The one I just bought has some extras when looking through the scope. I'm pretty sure its for yardage but not sure how to use it. Do I need to sight it in at a certain yardage? Really can't find any info about this. I'm hoping someone is will understand what I'm talking about and asking.

kymike 09-25-2011 05:14 PM

Done some research. I'm assuming it's a range finder scope that I have. Not sure how to find out what yardage each line is for or do a adjust them?

Axxe55 09-25-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymike (Post 586590)
Done some research. I'm assuming it's a range finder scope that I have. Not sure how to find out what yardage each line is for or do a adjust them?

there shuold be some information about this in the owners manual. did you buy it new or used? if you bought it used, check their website, most of them will put the owners mauals on their site so that you can download them.

Triumphman 09-25-2011 09:57 PM

What you have is a scope that's calibrated(mostly) for centerfire rifles to be used as yardage holdover points. There's a couple different types. One is with a crosshair with tiny dots down the verticle crosshair. You generally zero in at around 100yds then the 2nd dot down from the middle crosshair is somewhere around 200yds, then 3rd dot down is 300yds---so on down the line for around 500 or 600yds depending on how many dots.
The second type yardage holdover, is a scope having some simple small hash marks also on the verticle crosshair and they do the same thing with holdovers. However even if scope is generally made for a centerfire, a person can also use these holdovers for zeroing in at 50yds using the crosshairs, and just using the dot/hash mark at other ranges like 75,125,150,200 and so on using smaller caliber rifles like a 22, 17, or 22mag. It just depends on where you zero the center windage/elevation crosshairs at. Also these are just estimates as to where you will actually hit the target at any distance, and you need to know how you're gonna calibrate the scope at using this estimate and depending on rifle used on, you may not even use all the dots or crosshairs givin' the range of rifle's capabilities anyway. Also if scope has an A/O or Side Focus this also makes it easier to take out any parallax when focusing under that 100yd mark or past 150yds, which inturn will help with ranging those holdover shots and what dot/hash mark to use, or if that shooting range is between a dot/hash mark.
Del

jjfuller1 09-25-2011 10:09 PM

it seems that this is the scope you have... correct?

Bushnell - Banner 4-16 x 40mm, CF 500 Reticle [714164B]

if so its what was stated above. each hash mark is an est bullet drop at x amount of yards. the best way to really find out would be zero at 100yd and play around a little. try using the hash mark at 150. then 200 see if its close.. but remember it is only an est as each rifle and caliber has different ballistics

Txhillbilly 09-26-2011 12:23 AM

With most Ballistic reticles,you will just have to shoot at various ranges to see where the lines work for a particular load.
If you shoot a different load,then they will most likely be different,and you have to do the process all over again.

These reticle's do work,but you just have to find out where they shoot with whatever load your going to use.It's also a good idea to write all the data down,and then you can tape it to your stock as a reference while your out hunting.

kymike 09-26-2011 01:11 AM

Thanks guys. All info is very helpful. I've been researching this topic all day. I did find out that this scope, bushnell banner 4-16x40 cf500, isn't ballistically matched with 22/250. Would I need to find another scope or would they be pretty close? I guess I'll get to play with my rifle a lot. Thanks again. I'm really starting to like like this app.

Txhillbilly 09-26-2011 03:52 PM

Mike,Unless you are shooting the exact ballistics with your bullets,as the scope was designed for,none of the ballistic scopes will be dead on to your gun/load.

While these reticle's do work very well,they have to be tested by you to give you real data.If you know the ballistics of the load you are planning to use,it can help you,but the only true way to know where each line/dot on the reticle shoots is by shooting at different ranges and finding out where your POI is at different ranges.
Example,you zero your scope in with the crosshair at 100yd,then shoot the line/dot below it at 200yd.If the POI is high/low you can measure the difference and use a ballistics calculator to get a truer reading of what it means to the line/dot on the scope.The lines/dots are just a reference point,but you need to know what the range is for each of them,if you plan on using them for hunting.It can mean the difference between a dead animal or a wounded one.