Need your opinions on an optic
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Need your opinions on an optic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Need your opinions on an optic

I've narrowed my list down, but it's still considerable. There's several models from EOtech, Aimpoint, and Trijicon i've been looking at, but I don't want to get stuck with something that i'll regret, so im deferring to a higher intelligence - you.

My budget is $500 or less...and 500 is pushing it, but I should be able to convince my better half that I need it. I don't shoot anything beyond 100 yards, unfortunately, if that helps? Whatever it is, i want it to look like it belongs on my Colt LE6940

The one im leaning heavily towards right now is the CompM2 by Aimpoint

But i just don't know

So really - im asking your opinions. What do you shoot with and why? No right or wrong answer.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-06-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

You can't go wrong with an Aimpoint.
Any of the ones you listed will serve you well though.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

Nice looking rifle. While Eotech has a good holographic just under $500 I think you might get just as good from Aimpoint for a little less. Burris also has a good offering too

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/58366

These Aimpoints will give you what you need for less than $500

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/46745
http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/60152
http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/46740

All of these will look good at the range too.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #4

oh nice, im really liking this one

I'm still torn between staying with ol Iron Sights though...just trying to get a feel for whats out there. Right now my options are get some optics, or buy a bunch of other stuff like new mags, new grip, new buttstock, etc.

But thanks for your reply...this adds some fuel to my fire =)

Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Have you thought about getting a slightly cheaper red dot first, just to see if you like them and then maybe upgrading to an Aimpoint/EoTech/Trijicon? I'm talking about the entry level Aimpoint copies etc. from companies like Vortex, Primary Arms, Bushnell and Burris. You could buy one of those and the mags and other accesories you want. Then, later on you could buy one of those more expensive red dots and your better half would never know, because it looks just the same...

Old 03-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
Have you thought about getting a slightly cheaper red dot first, just to see if you like them and then maybe upgrading to an Aimpoint/EoTech/Trijicon? I'm talking about the entry level Aimpoint copies etc. from companies like Vortex, Primary Arms, Bushnell and Burris. You could buy one of those and the mags and other accesories you want. Then, later on you could buy one of those more expensive red dots and your better half would never know, because it looks just the same...
damnit I like the way you think.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a pretty good idea! Do you have any recommendations on a particular model?

the more i read up on optics, the more a fan I am becoming of the micros

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-07-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #7

Sorry I should have thought of the " keep the wife in the dark " method. I never would have gotten away with it when I was married. Check these two Aimshots out. They are about $100 and that still leaves room for more accessories.

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/54931

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/54930

I tried the " get the wife into shooting " method. I bought a Savage .22 with a Tasco scope for her and it worked great. With that $150 investment I got thousands in guns and toys.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
damnit I like the way you think.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a pretty good idea! Do you have any recommendations on a particular model?

the more i read up on optics, the more a fan I am becoming of the micros
I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Saiga, haven't shot too much with it yet, but it seems to work just fine. For some reason the front lens is canted a bit, some one messed up the assembly I guess, but doesn't affect the sight picture or anything like that. I have a rifle course coming up and will see there how well it holds up.

I think mjkeat has one or more of those Primary Arms micro-copies, you should PM him about those. Vortex has also got very good reviews, but some don't like the way the power button is set up (EoTech style, facing towards the shooter, easy to accidentaly turn it to NV or completely off).

Most of those red dots go for 100$ or less, I think the Vortex is a bit more expensive.

Vortex Sparc review:

One thing to consider is the dot size. If you ever plan on shooting further than 100yds, I'd recommend a 3 MOA dot or smaller. 4 MOA and 5 MOA will work just fine up to 100yds but at longer distances you might be covering your whole target, thus making it more difficult to get accurate shots. This is just my thoughts on the dot size with my very limited experience, YMMV.