Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Need some help with SKS Rail and Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need some help with SKS Rail and Scope

Hi all

I'm customizing a SKS I have and Can't seem to find a Rear Rail that does not replace the receiver, only screws over it. Since I hear the receiver mounted scopes that replaces the receiver have a horribly zero retention. I was also looking into hand guard rails too for a red dot or scope but I have never shot a gun with a scope so far froward and do not know how that would affect shooting, I would also lose the iron sights. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thank you. Its a Chinese SKS I do not know anything more.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I recently bought one of these:
PKG394HB - bottom one on the page
David's Collectibles Scope Packages

It seems pretty secure, as it has four set screws to hold it in place. However, i have not been able to get out & test it for staying power yet.

The only alternative i saw that wasn't a receiver cover replacement required some drilling & tapping of the receiver & basically mounted on the left & hung over the receiver cover. I have a forward rail on the tapco handguard, but i don't plan to use it at this time.

I have wondered if the "quick release" type mount for the AK (also available on that site) would work well with the SKS. Of the drilling-required mounts, i like it the bestest.

Last edited by orangello; 06-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #3

I have seen that. I already have a receiver ring mount and put it on but that is when I realized how unsecure it will be when firing. If you look closely on the SKS there are 6 screw holes near the receiver 4 under the receiver but not quite on the stock and two going directly into it. These two screw it directly to the receiver and well its not not going to be accurate. The rail would either have to be drilled and tapped or screwed over the receiver and into the gun in the 4 holes currently there.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #4

OK so I decided to just put the scope up front on the handguard.

I'm going to buy a Tapco Intrafuse SKS Rifle Stock System with Rail.
So that I have a rail on the hand guard and under it. I might get a vertical grip but not sure yet.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #5

Sorry for multiple posting but I'm trying to figure things out as I go.

How do you know if the scope you are getting will fit your rail or even comes with a mount. Its hard to tell exactly what product your looking at on alot of sights since the picture usually includes alot of extra stuff that's not what your buying or even incorrect pictures.

Are all rails pretty much the same? Like a universal fit.

would something like this
BSA OPTICS - PMRS Pano Multi Reticle Sight: Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

fit into a rail like this? ( Handguard Rail)
Tapco Intrafuse SKS Rifle Stock System with Rail: Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't know if all rails are universal, but that sight looks like it would fit the rail on my tapco stock. Maybe someone else will have input on the universality of rails.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

For your Tapco mount/handguard mount those rails are pretty universal. There are some rails out there that are different from the masses but it seems that most are found on handguns. Hope that helps. (I work for a company that sells gun accessories)

Btw, I recently put a UTG handguard onto my SKS and put a red dot sight on it. I am very pleased with it. I thought about a long eye relief scope but decided not to go that way.

I have a receiver rail as well but as you previously stated, she flops 'round a bit...

-mmhoium

Edit: I forgot to link my accessories in for you to consider.
This is the mount:
http://www.outdoorbunker.com/GEN_2_SKS_SOCOM_UNIV_TRI_RAIL_MOUNT_p/(lps-mnt-hg568sb-).htm

This is the Red Dot:
http://www.outdoorbunker.com/4_RETICLE_TACTICAL_RED_DOT_SIGHT_p/(ncs-d4b-).htm

-mmhoium

Last edited by mmhoium; 06-09-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Additional info

Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #8

I asked a friend and a guy at Paul's Guns up in NH were very helpful =)

Looks like most rails are all off the Picatinny style from the early 1930's

I ended up getting

- Tapco 6 Point Interfuse T6 with Rail w/o bayonet cut
- Barska® Compact Multi-reticle Reflex Sight (looks like eotech)
- Vertical Grip
- Barska® 5mW Green Laser Sight with Mount, Matte Black (Going to need a side rail)

I can't wait to get it all in =)

Thx for your help