Need a scope! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Need a scope!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

http://mylucidgear.com/riflescope.php

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Vortex are great definitely worth looking into! I would set a price and then add $100. That will get you something worth buying.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Never heard of them,and it has 1/8" moa clicks.
All signs of a cheaply made scope.

Personally,I will only buy proven brands/models of scopes. After 40+ years of shooting firearms,I have learned the hard way at a younger age about buying cheap or no name optics.
Your just wasting your money on them. Sure,they may work fine for a while,but almost all of them will fail at the most un-appropriate time.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5757 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Never heard of them,and it has 1/8" moa clicks.
All signs of a cheaply made scope.

Personally,I will only buy proven brands/models of scopes. After 40+ years of shooting firearms,I have learned the hard way at a younger age about buying cheap or no name optics.
Your just wasting your money on them. Sure,they may work fine for a while,but almost all of them will fail at the most un-appropriate time.

^^^ What Tex said!^^^

Winston Churchill

Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #15

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you're looking at ANY Bushnell, only look at Elite lineup. Elite 3200,4200,6500 Lineup is discontinued, and is now just called Elite.
Nikon ProStaff is OK as a cheaper budget, but for even better glass, I would would look to Buckmaster or Monarch.
There's also Weaver V-Classic, Sightron-(I,II,orIII), Vortex.
I've heard that Mueller is a fine Scope, even tho made in China, but with better QC and great CS.
I've seen Guys using Lucid on their AR's with a lot of luck, and some of those AR Guys are picky about optics, even when cheap.
If looking to great glass, then you'll need to step up to Schmidt&Bender, Scarowski(sp), high end Leupold, Doctor, Night Force, US Optics.
Del

Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #16

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I'm with TXHillbilly on this one.

Bushnell elites are good scopes for the money.

Vortex scopes are good scopes very clear very bright for the price. Plus they do offer a lifetime guarantee.

Redfields are not all that good. they are cheap because they are made cheap. They are a 2 piece design over time the oring seals will break down and you will lose your gas in the scope that will cause bluring and moisture in your scope. Two piece scopes are also not as strong as 1 piece scopes. My varmint AR runs an 8-32x56mm Sightron SIII in Leupold Mk4 rings ($1k set up). I got mostly Nightforce NSX's

Meuller scopes are decent scopes.

There are a lot of decent priced scopes out there.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
To each his own, but my definition of a "decent" scope would most definitely NOT include Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, ATN, BSA, Barska, NCStar or anything else in their class.
Man didn't take long for Optic snobbery to rear it's FUGLY head.

Just a basic hunting scope that you test once a year shoot a little bit and then hunt maybe firing 6 shots for for a total of about 20 shots a year a $200 scope is just fine.

Weaver 44/40 4-12x44mm Good quality scopes. http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-40-44-4-12-x-44-ao-scope.html

Weaver is owned my MEAD who make microscopes and telescopes. They know optics and they make quality stuff.

Sure most of my scopes are $1k+ but I can afford it and that is what I like. Thought back when I was just starting a family and it was buy an scope or buy food I found a cheap scope that fit my budget still have that scope mounted on that rifle Still shoots to POI every time it comes out of the safe even after 20 some years of hunting and 4 kids.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5757 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Man didn't take long for Optic snobbery to rear it's FUGLY head.

Just a basic hunting scope that you test once a year shoot a little bit and then hunt maybe firing 6 shots for for a total of about 20 shots a year a $200 scope is just fine.

Weaver 44/40 4-12x44mm Good quality scopes. http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-40-44-4-12-x-44-ao-scope.html

Weaver is owned my MEAD who make microscopes and telescopes. They know optics and they make quality stuff.

Sure most of my scopes are $1k+ but I can afford it and that is what I like. Thought back when I was just starting a family and it was buy an scope or buy food I found a cheap scope that fit my budget still have that scope mounted on that rifle Still shoots to POI every time it comes out of the safe even after 20 some years of hunting and 4 kids.

I'm glad you had a happy experience. I've owned close to a dozen of them over the last 50 years and bitterly regretted buying every damned one of them.

If wanting something worth owning makes me a snob, then so be it.

When a new shooter asks a question I will give him an honest answer. Who knows?? Maybe he'll buy a quality item that will last a lifetime and he'll become a snob like me.

Winston Churchill
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #19

If you noticed everyone was giving him help. Then there is your comment.

Quote:
To each his own, but my definition of a "decent" scope would most definitely NOT include Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, ATN, BSA, Barska, NCStar or anything else in their class.
I'm sorry I watched a guy shooting a millet scope at an F-class match, put a serious hurting on guys shooting Nightforce, Sightron SIII, Leupold Mk4's and even Denon's March Scopes. That man had an almost factory rifle and he was only beaten that day by 2 custom guns out of a field of 40 or 50.

But, this is a hunting rifle and the man has a budget of $200.

You didn't even offer a scope to look at. You just offered a snide comment. That is not helping it is just being a snob. I have plenty of high dollar scopes and plenty of high dollar guns.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Even a great guitarist can make a crappy guitar 'sing'. And the spoiled teenager with all the best in gear can't make him great. So your observation of one guy in an F-match class is moot. Barska, and NCStar is still crap though

Closed Thread