Need red dot pistol scope w/picatinny rail mount
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Need red dot pistol scope w/picatinny rail mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Need red dot pistol scope w/picatinny rail mount

I recently picked up a ruger 22/45 pistol that comes w/picatinny rails on the top & bottom. I was looking for a red dot under $100 for it but all I find have weaver mounts. I dont mind getting a cheapie just want one that is compact and fits. Didnt find any on midway, cheaperthandirt etc. Any ideas!?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Red Dot Sights, Holosights, Reflex Sights FREE UPS Red Dot Rifle Scopes & Sights ATN, Eotech, Tasco, Bushnell, Nikon

What about a reflex sight?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yes--there are differences between Picatinny and Weaver, but all the
sights with "Weaver mounts" will fit just fine on your Ruger. I've got
a Burris Fastfire on mine. You get the shorty with the threaded barrel?
Get rid of that %$#&^ magazine safety yet? Regular 1911 grips work
great, but you have to remove a little material to clear the slide stop.

A GOOD red dot under $100 is a rare bird. Bump it up to $200 and there
are some choices.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Im leaning towards a reflex - I kinda lump them in with the red dots I guess. I did get the threaded shorty and if its anywhere close to the buckmark camper (always in the range bag) then my ammo bin will take a serious hit. Apparently I need to do some more forum surfing as im not aware of those mods. Thanks!

I thought the weaver mounts were much more narrower than pic rails & so the integrated weaver style on most compact optics wouldnt work? Ill try it tomorrow on a weaver walmart special from the junk drawer.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc10x View Post
I thought the weaver mounts were much more narrower than pic rails & so the integrated weaver style on most compact optics wouldnt work? Ill try it tomorrow on a weaver walmart special from the junk drawer.
From the Brownell's website:

"

What are the differences between the “Picatinny” and the “Weaver” systems? The profile of the two systems is virtually identical. Depending on the quality of the machining done by the manufacturer, the two systems should be indistinguishable from the profile. The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206” wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true “Picatinny” MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next. In many instances, a Weaver system has a specific application that it is machined for, so interchangeability is not necessarily an issue. A MIL-STD-1913 system must adhere to the specifications listed above in order for it to be considered MIL-STD, since the military desires uniformity in the recoil grooves to allow for different systems to be mounted on the weapon with no concern for compatibility.

Now, what does this mean to you? Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a “Picatinny” system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, “Picatinny” accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, “Picatinny” won’t fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit “Picatinny”.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I did get the threaded shorty
Cute little gun isn't it? The accessories on mine are getting little spendy. The
Burris Fastfire wasn't bad, and the Volquartzsen trigger only set me back
a few bucks. The Liberty Kodiak TL suppressor that's waiting on the
paperwork to come back from ATF is going to end up costing about
twice what I paid for the pistol.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok thanks for the excellent info. Picked up a chinese browning reflex at the local toy store. fits just fine! Shoots fine too.

forumrunner_20110715_125634.jpg   forumrunner_20110715_125655.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Looks very nice!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update: thanks to you all for mentioning the mag safety removal it is now done. I did it myself using the Vol Mk II trigger kit & bushing. Followed some videos I found on the web and voila it is a real pleasure to shoot. It went from "almost on consignment" to "keeper". Mags fly out of the frame, trigger is near perfect, and i dumped the slide lock ball detent to boot. If you have even a modicum of mechanical ability then you really need to do this mod! Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Update: thanks to you all for mentioning the mag safety removal it is now done. I did it myself using the Vol Mk II trigger kit & bushing. Followed some videos I found on the web and voila it is a real pleasure to shoot. It went from "almost on consignment" to "keeper". Mags fly out of the frame, trigger is near perfect, and i dumped the slide lock ball detent to boot. If you have even a modicum of mechanical ability then you really need to do this mod! Thanks again.
You need one more thing.

Go here: http://www.tech-custom.com

and get some basepads for your magazines. e-mail Dominic and he
will fix you right up. Available in MANY colors--I have black, my wife's
are purple. You will not believe what a difference they make on the 22/45!