need help picking out first scope!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > need help picking out first scope!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need help picking out first scope!

So i dont know much when it comes to scopes, ive never bought that didnt already come with the gun.

this will go on my sig 522, and possibly a .223 that im hoping to buy soon. most my shooting will be between 20-100 yards with the .22 and 40-200 with the .223 so im not looking for something with a big zoom but not just a simple red dot either. ive mostly been looking at 4x tactical/acog scopes. and ive been thinking about a red dot with a fold out magnifier.

i havent done a ton of looking around, but ive narrowed it down to these two scopes..

1.5-5X32 QRM TACTICAL SCOPE WITH GREEN LASER SIGHT

Barska 1-3x30 IR Multi-Rail Electro Sight Riflescope, Cross IR Reticle FREE S&H AC11396. Barska Electro Sight Riflescopes, Barska Riflescopes.

the second scope id use with a mini red dot on top or a laser.

if anyone has experience with either scope or could give me any advice choosing between the two. and im very open to suggestions for other scopes, or a red dot/magnifier.
i dont want to spend over 200.

any help would be great!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Me personally I would wait a month or two and get one of the Nikon M223 scopes that are specificaly designed for the ar-15 and 556/223 cartridge rifle combo.

SWFA Nikon Riflescopes Nikon M-223 Riflescopes

Only slightly more than your $200 price point but the jump in quality over that of a Baraska is like moving from the slums to Beverly Hills.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Me personally I would wait a month or two and get one of the Nikon M223 scopes that are specificaly designed for the ar-15 and 556/223 cartridge rifle combo.

SWFA Nikon Riflescopes Nikon M-223 Riflescopes

Only slightly more than your $200 price point but the jump in quality over that of a Baraska is like moving from the slums to Beverly Hills.
If I had it to do all over again, THAT is the scope I would put on my AR!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bada Boom!! I'm liking these short threads!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #5

alright thanks for the advice, im starting to think ill go with a scope and a seperate red dot. its alot more than i want to be spending but they are both something i will have a use for forever.

my only question with the nikon scope is does it work well as a tactical style scope? or is it more of a target/hunting style. on the very few zoom scopes ive looked through, i can tell i would not like it much at all for tactical style shooting even at like 2 or 3. because of the very narrow field of view. ive never used an acog style scope, but would an acog style work better for shorter range (under 100) quick targeting and such?

anyway, i am starting to lean more in the direction of a red dot with a flip to magnifier, and something like the nikon to cover two different roles. but ill have to save up a bit for either. maybe ill just have to go with some cheapo 50 dollar red dot for now.

its a different thread topic, but does anyone have any advice on red dots? again id like to spend around 200. but if the quality difference is that great, i would be more than happy to save up a little more and buy something like an eotech. the red dot/magnifier combo i was looking at is something around 800$ that seems like a little much to be putting on a 22. even if it will go on a .223 and other guns later. i just dont know the advantages id get with something as nice as an eotech. and if anyone knows of one for around 200 or so that would be a good choice that would be great. perhaps i just need to make another thread.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #6

OK what exactly are you going to be doing with the rifle?

You say a tactical style scope. What is that? Are you talking about an ACOG?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OK what exactly are you going to be doing with the rifle?

You say a tactical style scope. What is that? Are you talking about an ACOG?
mostly quick shooting at multiple targets. with the occasional longer range target shooting, nothing more than about 100 yards though. and occasionally for rabbit control. but when i get a .223 im guessing ill probably be shooting up to 300 maybe 400 yards at most. which makes me think spending the money and getting a red dot and a zoom scope might be the best thing to do.

having never used an ACOG, i really dont know what its like, the only scopes ive used are around 4x to 12x scopes which i feel wouldnt be very great for under 50 yards, especially if its multiple targets.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry I can't add any helpful info here, but I am in the same boat. I just picked up a .22 (ruger K10/22t btw), mostly for light target and rabbit/grouse hunting. I know its heavier than the RPF but I found the quality that much better since I don't plan to rebuild the thing.

ANYWAYS, I've never bought a scope either, and have no real idea what to look for. I know I need one since the k10 has no iron sights. So if anyone has info for a scope thats within $300, that would be useful to me!
range 30 < 100 yds for most use. Thanks guys for any ideas.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #9

The two biggest things you need to know when looking for optics are.

1. Use: What the heck are you going to use this set up for. You can't get a 50 yard shooter and a 1000 yard shooter out of the same gun or optics.

2. Price: How much can you spend?

After that it is all rather simple.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #10

Default tango

I bought a nikon prostaff 2x-7x from wally world for approx 130$...if you are wanting to go cheap with relatively good quality. It has peformed well on my .223 without any problems. sorry post was meant for sn112

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Last edited by 556plinker; 09-25-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: directed at wrong person