Need Help Choosing a Scope!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Need Help Choosing a Scope!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help Choosing a Scope!

I own a Ruger M77 220 Swift with a Tang safety made approx. 1974. I want to install a quality scope, but NOT break the bank. Primary use will be coyotes, target, and prairie rats.
I want to be able to make the most out of the speed and accuracy of the rifle. Everyone talks about Nikon, Leupold, Swarovski, etc.. But what about Alpen's Apex? Scheels Paragon? Others?
I know "you get what you pay for", however, I am hearing that some "off brands" are being made in the same factory(s) over in Japan and are pretty good. I like Nikon glass, but hate their reticles (BDO = Big Dumb Circles), I love NightForce, and Vortex but can't afford them, and Leupold is over rated and over priced IMHO.
So, please give me your thoughts and experiences. I would love to hear from people who have used Alpen or Scheels. They both have pretty decent warranty for the price.

"Ammo. Stuff to kill stuff with." -- Ratchet and Clank

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker41
I own a Ruger M77 220 Swift with a Tang safety made approx. 1974. I want to install a quality scope, but NOT break the bank. Primary use will be coyotes, target, and prairie rats.
I want to be able to make the most out of the speed and accuracy of the rifle. Everyone talks about Nikon, Leupold, Swarovski, etc.. But what about Alpen's Apex? Scheels Paragon? Others?
I know "you get what you pay for", however, I am hearing that some "off brands" are being made in the same factory(s) over in Japan and are pretty good. I like Nikon glass, but hate their reticles (BDO = Big Dumb Circles), I love NightForce, and Vortex but can't afford them, and Leupold is over rated and over priced IMHO.
So, please give me your thoughts and experiences. I would love to hear from people who have used Alpen or Scheels. They both have pretty decent warranty for the price.
Try weaver grand slam

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Burris makes nice scope for the money...middle of the cost road and middle of the performance road. Their calibrated reticle with hold over marks are a good idea, in theory, but my experience at the range is that theory and reality are different and needed hold over varies with the ammo.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo
Burris makes nice scope for the money...middle of the cost road and middle of the performance road. Their calibrated reticle with hold over marks are a good idea, in theory, but my experience at the range is that theory and reality are different and needed hold over varies with the ammo.
Yes burris is another good scope so is redfield. Redfield is very clear and reasonably priced

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #5

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ziess is great but around the price of Leupold and up. The 3-9x40 is 400 at academy sports & outdoors

Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

Burris, Redfield and Millet all make good value for money scopes.

"Train as you fight, fight as you train" www.floridafirearmstraining.com

Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have a Weaver V-classic 4-16 on a little Weatherby 243 and it's an outstanding scope, but it's around that $300 mark. A scope to consider would be a Mueller scope. They have a few that are around $200 and less, with very good Customer Service. Don't own one, but reviews have been very good. Another scope to look at would be a Simmons. Go for the new "Master Series" 44MAG with S/F model(I own one) and they are MUCH BETTER than the regular run of the mill Simmons scopes, or get an older Aetec(discontinued) model as it was a very nice scope that held up over time.
Del

Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #8

Thank you for the replies. I have to see what is carried in our local sporting stores. As far as the ammo concerns, I reload my own, ('cause 220 Swift ammo is hard to find around here).
I posted another thread looking for viable varmint load recipes for a 220 Swift if anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate some input. Right now my best load is 38gn of H380 with a CCI large mag primer and a 55gn nosler. Getting 5/8" 5shot groups at 100yds, but think I can do better.
I've been trying to work up some Barnes Varmint Grenade rounds but not satisfied with the 3/4" groups I am getting with that.

"Ammo. Stuff to kill stuff with." -- Ratchet and Clank

Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

check out the Swift Premier line of scopes. i just started using them about two years ago, and now i have two of them on difeerent rifles. i had never heard of them before, but i'm really impressed with them. also if you don't like the Nikon BDC reticle, then opt for the scope with the Nikoplex reticle, same scopes with a regular type reticle. i have a couple of those in the Nikon Prostaff.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

You do know that Redfeild is made by Leupold. I am a big fan of Sightron scopes. I have a 6.5-20x42mmAO Big Sky on my varmint rifle. Tried another makers 4-16x42mmAO and was not happy. Sightron has a full warrantee.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/sightron-sii-6-24x42mm-big-sky-riflescope-with-climate-control-coating-siib62442d.html

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.