need help with 1/3 co-witness (AR-15)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > need help with 1/3 co-witness (AR-15)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default need help with 1/3 co-witness (AR-15)

ok here is the thing, i love iron sights, they never fail and dont need batteries but at night they suck bad, so i use a red-dot sight with a nice crisp and small 4moa dot, i do not want to change my optic, the Ultra-Dot sight is about $200 and super clear with a very clean dot

right now i have the 1/3 co-witness and i love it
problem is i hate my set up, i want a one piece quick detach mount that is lighter than what i have but at the same height. The 1" tube is whats making this difficult. I do not like the riser and rings combo to be honest, i want a mount that is just as high, preferably quick detach, that will hold my optic right where it is now

maybe some one here will know of something that would work

F.Y.I.
Hog and varmint hunting at night here in TX is legal, hence why i like the set up i use, that and it is a great self defense set up

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #2

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Have you thought of replacing the carry handle with a flip up rear and moving the optic to the receiver?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Have you thought of replacing the carry handle with a flip up rear and moving the optic to the receiver?
yes i did,, but i would like to keep the carry handle for two reasons,, its damn convenient for guys like me who don't like slings and i noticed the red-dot seems to be ezer to aim both eyes open when in a scout position

i may just have to go with another optic all together but i really really like this one,,, shame

Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I use a smith an wesson full rear sight without the handle an i run an aimpoint pro. Of course i have a tac sling though. The aimpoint comes with the rite riser on a quick detach built in. I also think utg makes the same rear sight. The aimpoint is a bit on the higher price market, but the r badass

Old 10-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #5

found my solution

i will ditch the carry handle, save some weight, and get a 2moa dot with 1/3 cowitness all in one uncluttered move and still have excellent battery life

im saving up for the C-MORE CTAC with aluminum body,, not the polymer one

like this

so i will just stick with my ugly set up that i pieced together with spare crap i had around here for a lil longer

Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

What if you went with a carry handle mount ? I dont believe it would cowitness deep ding on which mount you use . but they seem to work pretty decent
http://www.google.com/search?q=ar15+carry+handle+mount&tbm=isch&tbo=u&so urce=univ&biw=640&bih=335&dpr=1.5

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

U could always mount on top of the a2 handle

Old 10-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #8

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I sure don't think Stoner designed the carry handle with optics in mind. No coincidence that as more optics became available handles started disappearing.

I sure like the classic look of a carry handle but IMHO you start slapping a bunch if extras on those it looks like Jed Clampett's truck.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #9

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Is that the RRA cut carry handle? Not a bad choice plus still let's you RIBZ/reindex the A2 sight if you want some fun. Google RIBZ for Molon's article if you're really in to irons!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Is that the RRA cut carry handle? Not a bad choice plus still let's you RIBZ/reindex the A2 sight if you want some fun. Google RIBZ for Molon's article if you're really in to irons!
i was told it was a colt take off,, looking at the side there is a square, like found on a new colt upper, instead of the keyhole like that is on my upper,, any way im not sure but it got a better finish than my RGUNS upper

and i to like the looks as well as the function with the carry handle which is why my last build was a standard A2 upper
i just want a good dot to co-witness for night time use, but if i end up ditching the carry handle im going with the CMORE Tac