Need a good scope for my 10-22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Need a good scope for my 10-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need a good scope for my 10-22

First post, hello to all.

I have a Tasco 3-9x32 which is great but from time to time it does tend to lose zero.

The one that interests me is the BSA 6-18x40 BDC with AO. From what I have heard the BSA scopes are pretty much bottom of the line with a number of issues. Anyone have one of these? Are they good, bad, or hit or miss?

I also checked the Bushnell Banner scopes with the BDC, they only offer 100 and 200 ranges on their turrent, not a wide range of options there.

I would appreciate any input about the BSA scopes or any other that would be good for a .22LR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. How about stopping by the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

Second, good rimfire scopes can be had from just about every manufacturer. As for BSA, I've had a couple and they are hit and miss at best in my opinion. I have been impressed with the Nikon scopes lately, but they run plenty more expensive than BSA or Tasco.

If you let us know what you are looking to spend, you may get more responses in your price range. Just suggesting....

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

I thought I posted in the "new members" section. Maybe it didn't go through. I'll check.

Yes, the Nikons are good from what I have heard and at least one model does offer a BDC but I think it is for centerfire? I could be wrong.

As for money to spend, I don't want to spend more for a scope than I paid for my rifle.

There are types that have the grid system, would prefer a turrent type if possible.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OK so you don't want to spend too much on a new scope. I would stay away from the BSA, Barska, Tasco, and other low end scopes.

I just ordered a Nikon 6-24x50mm for my new AR. Granted this is a $900 rifle with a $650 scope.

You would be better served by a bushnell banner than either the BSA or the tasco. I have one BSA it is ok it hasen't lost Zero ever but it doesn't track for crap. One click will be 1/8 moa the next will be 1/2moa. But that is to be expected in lower end scopes.

Look at the Banner Bushnells, if you don't want crazy lower like running a 6-24x on a rimfire then you can't get much better than the Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4x32mm Nikon ProStaff 4x32 RimFire Classic Riflescope Shipping FREE S&H 6316, 6306, 6305. Nikon ProStaff Riflescopes, Nikon Riflescopes. $109 with free shipping.

Might also look at the simmons. At the above site you can go to the home page and sort rifle scopes by price and pick your price range. I have ordered scopes from them before as has Canebreak and many others on here and they get a 5 star rating from me.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

I want to thank ya'll for your input. I am going to look into the Nikon. I really would rather have something that goes up to at least 9 power though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the difference between a rimfire scope and one for centerfire is just the parallax setting, right? If so, if I get one a good quality centerfire scope with AO I can use it on a rimfire?

With my Tasco, I have no idea why it gets off zero from time to time. I never bump it at all, only shock it sees is the recoil. Maybe difference in temperture?

Anyway, I read that some scopes use plastic for their gearing and others use metal. I doubt that all are 100% checked after assembly, just spot checked more than likely. Also the quality of the parts would come into play. So many factors.

A .22 beyond 150 yards has a huge drop. I have a grid of where I shoot so I know the yardage. A BDC would be helpful in that situation, but not a must. I can "do the math" fairly well, main thing to me is to get a scope that will hold zero.

Once again, thank you for your time on this.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #6

I personally use centerpoint scopes on my rifles(most) they hold zero and are a bargain at wallyworld for 40-70. Right now I have 3 4x16x40 adjustable AO.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=cpttango30;223024]

Look at the Banner Bushnells, if you don't want crazy lower like running a 6-24x on a rimfire then you can't get much better than the Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4x32mm Nikon ProStaff 4x32 RimFire Classic Riflescope Shipping FREE S&H 6316, 6306, 6305. Nikon ProStaff Riflescopes, Nikon Riflescopes. $109 with free shipping. QUOTE]

I just got mine at Cabela's for $109.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Mueller makes a great scope for rimfires,and it won't break the bank. There are a whole lot of guys at rimfirecentral that swear by them. Here's a link for them-
APV 4.5–14×40 AO (black)*•*Mueller Optics

MUELLER OPTICS

I have a Mueller 8.5x25x50 Eraticator scope and it is a good scope. I put it on a 300wm just to see if it would break.It was good to go after 400-500rds,so I now have it on my RRA AR15.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Got this Simmons for my Marlin and really like it:

Simmons 22 MAG 3-9X32 Rimfire Rifle Scopes w/ Rings FREE S&H

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Yes any scope that has an AO that goes to or below 50 yards is good to go for a rimfire.

I do believe they make a 3-9x40mm rimfire scope.