Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > ncstar scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scopes

very interesting thread.where are Simmons made?? Ncstar is north china industry,(NORINCO)I have a few on SKS and 22sand AR15.they are good for me.Japan makes all the glass and the manufacturers grind them.you have no Idea who make anyones scopes.the companies have been bought and rebought so many times.I cant keep track of them.some of use are satisfied with low price.I buy from CDNN and my NcStar were $13.4 x 30 and the 6 x 30 was $16.
simmons made in Phillipeans

Old 09-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #22

i bought one for ten bucks on ebay its a 4x20 with a dovetail mount my mount on my ruger 10/22 is 3 in 1 (weaver, picatinny and dovetail) the mount is great back to the ncstar for the money its not bad i guess it would be a decent scope for the money but i hate the dovetail mount i was gonna get some weaver mount rings for it so it stays on for more than 20-30 shots its not as glare reflective and nowhere near as clear as the tasco 3-9x40 scope on my mossberg 100 atr. but for ten bucks i think its good good enough for pickin off squirrels or rabbits which was its intended purpose

my 2 cents

Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

The only one I ever had wouldn't hold zero. Returned it for another,same thing,fire the gun,crosshairs move. This was on a Saiga 223,I won't buy another Ncstar product.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Remember, generally with optics, you get exactly what you pay for.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #25

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

So............that's a no on the McNcStar???

I think it's a

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's another post on NcStar:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/couple-xtras-21105/

Check out slowryde45's comments. I bought on of these new on GB for $98 but haven't had a chance to try it out, and probably won't until spring. ******* deep in snow up here in Minnesota!!!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #27

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a strong "negative" as far as I'm concerned. I got gullibled into buying one (at least it was cheap, so I didn't get hurt too bad). A real POS. Now looking for one up to $300 for an AR that I can detach and reattach without it losing too much zero. Does such a thing exist?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I believe it's a definite NO!!!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #29

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

M'kay....could you be a little more specific?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Here's another post on NcStar:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/couple-xtras-21105/

Check out slowryde45's comments. I bought on of these new on GB for $98 but haven't had a chance to try it out, and probably won't until spring. ******* deep in snow up here in Minnesota!!!
LOL..OK, well before anyone else decides to take what I said out of context...the point I was trying to make is...IF that is all you can afford, and you like what you see, and it works for your needs, who are any of us to tell you any different?

I've seen guys out there shooting in competition using NcStar scopes on their 3-gun sticks without issue. Then again, I've seen a pile of them at gun shows or at shops, going for whatever they can get out of them. So I guess it comes down to, if you get a good one, they can be decent.

I've seen too many folks jump into this hobby and after lurking in forums, or at gun shows, or shoots, come away thinking that they NEED all of the same gear and brands as they heard others talking about or saw. IF you can afford top brand XYZ and all the latest doodads that go along with making it stand out in the Tacticool crowd, then by all means, go for it.

But for the average joe, plinking on weekends, do you really need a Scmidt & Bender sitting on top your Olympic Arms Plinker Plus? Uhmmmmm....well, IF that's what you want on there, go for it. But if you are on a Cham-pipple budget, either you save up for a few months to buy that Ultra-deluxe piece of glass, or you get something that, works for you and is within your reach.

If that happens to be a Barska, an NcStar, BSA, Sightmark, Tasco, Simmons, or whatever, as long as it does what you want it to do, who the heck cares? Just know that if you are buying some of the lesser brands, you may have more of a chance of getting something that may not perform as well as some of the more expensive brands. But you also have a chance of getting something that might work out for what you need, for less than some of the other brands.

An example: a Busnell Holosight cost over a hundred $$'s less than an Eotech No, they don't have the special Mil-Spec shield, or the heavier duty switches, or the badging, but internally...I think you'd find the same circuitry.

Or some of the Japanese Hakko red-dots (the ones actually made in Japan) that were Aimpoint clones. There were numerous Torture-tests done on those, that proved that they held up almost as well as a real Aimpoint. But they were a third of the cost. Sure, they didn't have the same ACET circuitry that would have given them the same 40-80,000 hour battery life. But for the savings, you could buy CASES of the batteries. I happen to have one on one of my AR's right now. I've had it for 5 years, with over 5,000 rounds through it, and about 2 months ago, finally replaced the button cell battery in it, for the first time. It's been throuh 3 different carbine classes and numerous 3-gun matches, been in the rain, mud, cold, and heat and still Tickin' If they still sold them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a few more

Anymore, I think if you did some research on all these new lower end red-dot scopes and lower end multi- and single power scopes, I think you'd find that most are probably made in the same factories (china, philippines, malaysia, etc) with different brand badging put on afterwards, and priced by name - often for the same product.

So, research what you are looking at. At the very least, ask if you can try it on your gun, and if there is a return policy. At least you'll know how it performs, and if you like it or not. If not, return it, or chalk it up to experience. Personally, I love it when I see someone with one of those brands, shooting next to someone who's gear is all decked out with top of the line names, and is keeping up with them.

So, do I advocate buying the cheapest? Not necessarily. What I suggest is buying the best that you can afford, to meet your needs. Sure, it would be great to buy NICE, but sometimes buying twice, three times, even four times, can still be as cheap, and sometimes cheaper

Now, if what you are buying is for line-of-duty, LEO/MIL work, or your life is on the line, by all means, buy something that you are willing to bet your life on. Whatever that may mean to you.

Slo