Multi X vs Mil Dot
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Multi X vs Mil Dot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Multi X vs Mil Dot

I have found the scope I like, read all the reviews I can find and the scope seems to be a good one to chose. The only issue I have is the reticle. I have two options 1 being Multi X and 2 being Mil Dot. This is for a 223 bolt action gone. The majority of my shooting will be at the range with some ground hog hunting all around the 200-300yrd range. Not having much experience with either choice what reticle would you suggest for this set up?

This is on the Bushnell Elite 4200 6*24-40

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #2

Mil Dots work as a great range finder. This is what I was accustomed to shooting in the military. However, they require some time and skill to learn. If you want to take the time the Mil Dot is the way to go. If not go with the Multi X

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan

Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #3

great point that I never really thought about.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

With what your doing you don't need the mildots.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #5

I would have to agree. Looks like the multi X will be a good reticle

Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The Mil-Dot system was an excellent idea. It's no longer the best application out there, and with the necessary training, it's MUCH easier to learn to shoot distance with some of the newer reticle styles like the Multi-X.

I have a Mil-Dot on my .308 and it took me some time to get to using it "naturally'. I think it is a great tool, but like any tool, improvements can be made and "Ease of Use" is a category that the Mil-Dot was definitely needing.

I would say for your applications, go with the Multi X and wait until you have some time on your hands to really learn the Mil-Dot application and how to use it effectively. It's worth knowing, but it will cost time and money ( ammo ).

There is a great piece of software that will teach you some basics that can be had for fairly cheap.

Look up "Long Range Shooting System Version 3.0" by Karin Christensen. It's like $40, but once you load it, you can try your hand at Mil-Dot shooting in all conditions with like 6 or 8 different calibers. It's a great simulation that will help break you into the Mil-Dot realm.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you want a decent hold over Look at the Nikon BDC scopes. You can even go to Nikon.com and enter your load specs and it will give you a range card for your scope.

SWFA Nikon Riflescopes Nikon BDC Riflescopes

Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't think you need the Mil Dots for what you are doing. The Nikon BDC would be much better. I think this would be a good choice:

NIKON MONARCH 4-16X50 BDC MAT

Donnie

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Mil-dots are great for human sized target ranging. Be careful w/ the multi-X also. Sometimes the reticule can be too thick, so it covers small vermin and makes it difficult. Anything that covers glass, like a BDC also covers small targets at distance. Keep the clutter down.
Here is a decent scope.
Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SII Series - SII 6-24x42
With a 200 yard zero, here is a 55gr V-max @ 3000fps MV.
Yards 300
Drop inch -7.8
Drop MOA -2.5
energy@ 300 474.8
Velocity @ 300 yards 1971.8

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-03-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes, the Sightrons are good scopes. I carry them also. I need to get them listed on my website, but email me for a price quote if interested.

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手