Mounts for my savage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mounts for my savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mounts for my savage

I went ahead and bought a savage model 12bvss in .223 on monday night, and yesterday i ordered a bushnell 6-24X40mm elite 4200 series mildot reticle, and now i need to find some mounts to put it all together. I think i would like to go with a weaver/picitinny style not a dovetail style unless someone could think of some unforseen advantage with that piece of kit. i am also thinking one piece versus 2? What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I wouldn't buy some cheap aluminum knock off. I would get a quality base. Look at the Badger Ord or Warne if you want that.

The Picatinny I think is not good for your applications. Are you going to swaping scopes and that kind of stuff? If not Which I doubt your going to be switching scopes I would go with a Leupold or Burris once piece. Me I would get this set up, Leupold std base in silver to match the ss finish with Burris zee rings in silver. These rings are good because they have floating plastic inserts in them so you don't have to lap your rings in. Like everyone thinks you need to do now days.

MidwayUSA - Warne 1-Piece Tactical Picatinny-Style Scope Base Savage 10 Through 16 Round Rear Short Action Matte

MidwayUSA - Leupold 1-Piece Standard Scope Base Savage 10 Through 16 Round Rear Short Action Silver

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=557760

Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Go with the Warne one piece Picatinny rail. It will interface with more high quality rings. Weaver and Picatinny rails are not the same dimensions.

Also, take the time and set up right. Get all your screws torqued down correctly and lap your rings. I use the Kokopelli Products lapping/accurizing kits, and think they are the best I've tried.

You are going to like your rifle. I have a 12FVSS in .223 and it is scary accurate (but only with light bullets). Mine is topped with a MeoPta 4-16x44. When I got mine I went with the Warne steel 2 piece bases because the one piece was out of stock. It does allow for easier loading, but I'd rather have the rigidity of the one piece base.