Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Mounting a Red/Green Dot on an AR-10 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/mounting-red-green-dot-ar-10-a-11993/)

Jesse17 03-19-2009 12:20 AM

Mounting a Red/Green Dot on an AR-10

So I purchased picatini <sp> riser block, and a cheap Green Dot scope today. I'm not sure what the difference in green/red is. Is there any tactical advantage to one vs. the other?

Also my main question: Where to mount it. Between the length of the picatini rail, and the the length or the riser block, I can adjust the eye relief by about 4 - 5 inches. What's better tactically? Should I have the scope mounted as close to my eye as possible, as far away, or somewhere in the middle?

I've tried it mounted very loosely all three ways and can't see a major difference. I don't want to tighten it down until I've decided, because the gun has that stupid 'mossy oak' film on it, and I don't want to mare it unnecessarily, if I don't have to.

cpttango30 03-20-2009 12:37 AM

seeing as they are easy and quick to mount and dismount. I would try it out in a few different positions then pick the one you like the best.

DonnyKC 03-23-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 83971)
So I purchased picatini <sp> riser block, and a cheap Green Dot scope today. I'm not sure what the difference in green/red is. Is there any tactical advantage to one vs. the other?

Also my main question: Where to mount it. Between the length of the picatini rail, and the the length or the riser block, I can adjust the eye relief by about 4 - 5 inches. What's better tactically? Should I have the scope mounted as close to my eye as possible, as far away, or somewhere in the middle?

I've tried it mounted very loosely all three ways and can't see a major difference. I don't want to tighten it down until I've decided, because the gun has that stupid 'mossy oak' film on it, and I don't want to mare it unnecessarily, if I don't have to.

does your scope magnify? i have a non magnify on my ar-15 . mines a flat top and i use my scope to co-withness on semi long distance. i will get pictures soon.

Jesse17 03-23-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnykc (Post 85903)
does your scope magnify? i have a non magnify on my ar-15 . mines a flat top and i use my scope to co-withness on semi long distance. i will get pictures soon.

No magnification. Just a cheap $40 BSA piece-of-Polosi.

I ended up mounting it about mid-way. I confirmed a lesson that I already knew about optics...you get what you paid for. At 100 yards, the dot just about covers a 6" target, and the verilux <sp> is so bad that I am confident that I can hit a chest cavity, well at least an arm or stomach if I aim at the center of the chest.:mad:

I will definitely be getting a real scope for that gun, maybe a quality 3x9 or something, and this one will be moving to SWMBO's mini-14.

Don't tell her it sucks though...I'm going to convince her I'm doing her a favor, because it would be perfect for her gun,;) which is why I will have to suffer and find a new scope for my gun.:D

Angrypoonani 03-25-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 85911)
No magnification. Just a cheap $40 BSA piece-of-Polosi.

I ended up mounting it about mid-way. I confirmed a lesson that I already knew about optics...you get what you paid for. At 100 yards, the dot just about covers a 6" target, and the verilux <sp> is so bad that I am confident that I can hit a chest cavity, well at least an arm or stomach if I aim at the center of the chest.:mad:

I will definitely be getting a real scope for that gun, maybe a quality 3x9 or something, and this one will be moving to SWMBO's mini-14.

Don't tell her it sucks though...I'm going to convince her I'm doing her a favor, because it would be perfect for her gun,;) which is why I will have to suffer and find a new scope for my gun.:D

That's awesome!!! piece of polosi... I'm using that!

because you were wondering: green is much easier for our eyes to see while red is more difficult. This is because green takes up much more of the visible spectrum (in the middle)... at least for humans... and red takes up much less of our visible spectrum (at a far end) and because thats how our cones in our eyes have developed. the wavelengths of light are most commonly displayed in a rainbow where the colors are ROYGBIV, red orange yello green blue indigo violet. In the light the largest sensitivity of our eyes is around 550nm while in the dark the largest sensitivity is around 510nm and the wavelengths classified as green are 520-570nm as you can see our eyes are inherently sensitive to the green wavelengths.

that is the difference btwn green sights and red sights. why do you think night vision goggles portray everything in green? Plus green laser sights/dots sights look more bad-a than red ones

Jesse17 03-25-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrypoonani (Post 86508)
That's awesome!!! piece of polosi... I'm using that!

because you were wondering: green is much easier for our eyes to see while red is more difficult. This is because green takes up much more of the visible spectrum (in the middle)... at least for humans... and red takes up much less of our visible spectrum (at a far end) and because thats how our cones in our eyes have developed. the wavelengths of light are most commonly displayed in a rainbow where the colors are ROYGBIV, red orange yello green blue indigo violet. In the light the largest sensitivity of our eyes is around 550nm while in the dark the largest sensitivity is around 510nm and the wavelengths classified as green are 520-570nm as you can see our eyes are inherently sensitive to the green wavelengths.

that is the difference btwn green sights and red sights. why do you think night vision goggles portray everything in green? Plus green laser sights/dots sights look more bad-a than red ones

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it either had something to do with what you said, or it had something to do with making the scope cheaper.

Glad to hear it is meant as a benefit.:)

PS. My SWMBO and her friends started saying 'piece of Polosi', and I fell in love with it too. Feel free to join in the bashing:D