Mounting problem - Rem 700 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mounting problem - Rem 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

If you spent hard earned money on a rifle why would you not want it right? If the action is not machined right other things might be wrong inside the action.

It might just be me but, when I purchase an item I expect it to meet my expectations or the company will fix it or I will return it and get something else.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do "want it right", Gunnut. But "right" is based on the totality of the circumstances. I wanted a left-handed action, and most manufacturers don't want to hear it. I didn't want to spend too much, because I'm just getting started in rifle shooting and I don't know what I'm doing yet. Remington says "Come on in, join the party. At the bottom of the line." That's the best offer a hard world had for me.

I would have liked that rifle to be closer to perfect, or "right", because knowing those shims are there bugs me, it messes with my sense of order! But in my opinion it's not reasonable to expect much more out of a made-in-the-U.S.A. rifle that cost $700. For me, it is a matter of having realistic expectations.

I have had a hard life. My hopes and dreams and fantasies about a near-perfect world were shattered decades ago. I look in the mirror, and I say "I look like a puddle of dog puke!", and I'm not kidding. But this is as close to "right" as my experience allows for, so I try to live with it gracefully.

I have to live in the world the way it is today, not the way I might like it to be!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Your gun shoots awesome. Those shims are fine. Leave it alone. Just take it to the range and shoot the socks off everyone else!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's how I look at it, Hiwall. The gap isn't right, but war, pestilence, disease, racism aren't right either. We need to play the hand we are dealt.

I would be upset if it couldn't shoot good groups. That would be a big deal. That varmint barrel is heavy! It better shoot straight if I have to lug that thing around!

Spending a couple of bucks on the shims, and half an hour at the workbench is not a big deal. I learned something, and maybe someday I will be able to help out somebody with the same problem. And if I do enough good deeds like that, maybe I will not wind up burning in Hell for all eternity! This is starting to look like a great deal!

It is not pretty, but the way it shoots, well, I am getting a little aroused over here. Is that wrong?!?!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khromo
That's how I look at it, Hiwall. The gap isn't right, but war, pestilence, disease, racism aren't right either. We need to play the hand we are dealt.

I would be upset if it couldn't shoot good groups. That would be a big deal. That varmint barrel is heavy! It better shoot straight if I have to lug that thing around!

Spending a couple of bucks on the shims, and half an hour at the workbench is not a big deal. I learned something, and maybe someday I will be able to help out somebody with the same problem. And if I do enough good deeds like that, maybe I will not wind up burning in Hell for all eternity! This is starting to look like a great deal!

It is not pretty, but the way it shoots, well, I am getting a little aroused over here. Is that wrong?!?!
You would be surprised at the number of competition benchrest rifles out there that have shims in some place...

Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shims arn't bad I have.010 worth under my vx-4 sitting on top of my 1971 browning BAR in 270 win. shoots like A dream.