Mounting new scope on Remington 721

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mounting new scope on Remington 721

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mounting new scope on Remington 721

I have a model 721 with a 4X Leupold that my father gave me over 30 years ago. It is a great gun, but my eyes are suffering from my age, so I bought a new Leupold VX-II 4-12x40mm A.O. I found that the tube length on the new scope is shorter than the old 4X, so the new scope won't fit the existing mount/ring combo.

My concern is that a new set of mounts and rings may have the same problem. Just because the mounts fit the gun doesn't mean they will be close enough together to fit the scope.

The Leupold site doesn't help much. It says that the low bases will work most of the time and the medium bases will work almost all of the time. The gun still has its iron sights on it, so I doubt low bases will work without removing the rear sight. But, removing the sight is not so much an issue as whether or not the rings will be close enough together for the new scope to fit.

Would reversible mounts help? I was just going to use standard medium bases and rings. Any suggestions?

Other pertinent information:
The 4X scope was set in Weaver detachable rings and #35 & #36 bases. When mounted on the rifle, the rings are 5 7/16" apart, from outside to outside.

The new scope tube is 5 3/16" from the power ring to the bell on the objective end of the scope.

Will reversible bases give me an extra 1/2"? Would both bases need to be reversible?

Thanks a bunch,
Clint

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Personally i cant really answer your question without the the rifle rings and scope in hand. Ive got trouble doing that myself.

But picatiny/weaver style rails have become a lot more common and accessable for a wider variety of bolt guns thanks to the mall ninja ar15 craze of the last few years.
While im a fan of windage adjustable bases the rails make it easier to fit just about any scope and ring set to any rifle.

Just something to consider until a wiser ring/base guru comes along

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't know these base #'s without seeing them or how they're mounted on the rifle. I've used Weaver's bases on pretty much all my rifles, and they are reversible by remounting them in the opposite way, which will get you at least 2" closer together by doing so. I don't mean remounting the front base onto the rear drilled section as most bases aren't drilled the same spacing or the receiver is rounded differently from front to back. I mean by just turning the front base around on itself, and the same on the rear, because of the slot that is cut into the base for holding the scope ring recoil lugs into. Have you tried this approach? I know sometimes the rear mount doesn't/can't work as it will sometimes overhang the bolt opening and prevent shell extraction, but it's worth a try. Other then that, a Picnanny rail, or if they make a 1-piece rail/rings for this model rifle would be something from DNZ. Also low rings are made for scopes(without AO) for up to 34mm and medium rings will work for up to 42mm(without AO), and if you have larger than a 44mm scope (without AO), then you'll need tall rings. Also, rifles with iron sights, be they old or modern, present other ring heigth problems and need to be accounted for by using taller rings, if the rear sight doesn't fold down, or the scope bell doesn't clear the rear iron sight when mounted properly for a good scope sight picture. Also scopes with Side Focus adjustments are treated as a regular scope without Adjustable Objectives(AO) for ring heigths.
Del
Del

Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #4

Default Mounting new scope on Remington 721

Thanks guy's! I am going to try the DNZ Game Reaper in medium hieght. They look like a great product and in reading the reviews, I found where someone mounted the exact scope that I just bought for my rifle on a Remington 700 ADL.

I will let you know how it works out.

By the way Triumphman, I took another look at the Weaver mounts on my gun and found that the rear mount was reversible, but not the front. The rear mount was already facing forward, so I couldn't gain anything there. Good idea though.
Clint

Last edited by aleutianflyer; 10-08-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #5

Default DNZ results for Remington 721

Okay, I said I would let you know how things turned out, so here goes.

I got my new DNZ base and rings last week and everything looked promissing.

Monday I mounted the scope. It fit perfectly and looks great. Eye relief is excellant and the AO adjustment ring clears the rear iron sight by about 3/64ths of an inch with the medium base.

Tuesday I bore sighted the gun and I plan to take it to the range this Saturday. I can hardly wait to see how it shoots.

Thanks again for the recommendation.
Clint