Mossburg 500 Weaver scope mount

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mossburg 500 Weaver scope mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossburg 500 Weaver scope mount

I just received a Weaver scope mount for my 12 ga Mossberg 500. Unfortunately, at the barrel end of the mount you remove a very thin, flat headed screw and the replacement screw is more of a pan headed screw. The panheaded screw sticks up too high and won't allow the receiver to close. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Tried to call Weaver but they are off for the holidays until Jan 4. Surely they have the proper screw. But wondered if this was a common problem.

Happy New Year
KingLear35

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you SURE it's the right screw for that hole? I'm assuming when you say too high you mean too low into the action? The previous poster is right-just grind/file the screw down to the proper length.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #3

Is it the right screw? I appreciate the attention to the obvious. It is amazing how often an electrical appliance problem can be fixed by simply plugging it in. However, in this case, not only and I sure it is the right screw... it is the only screw provided.

As to filing, yes that of course is an option. But, even if I weren't tired of modifying brand new products to make them work as promised, I do not need o "file it to length". I am going to have to file the head of the screw. The screw is not too long. The head is too thick. I am not even sure that the slot in the head is cut deep enough to take the needed metal off and still have a slot. The screw is started from inside the receiver and it is the head of the screw that is blocking the action. I have enough projects at the momment and an hoping Weaver will provide the proper screw when they all get back from vacation on Mon.

Thanks for the responses. Have a great 2010.