Mosin Nagant 91/30 rail and optics
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mosin Nagant 91/30 rail and optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant 91/30 rail and optics

Hello all.

I have a 91/30 Mosin Nagant that I want to take long shots with. The plot of land where my friends and I shoot has at least a few hundred yards of range and I would like to take full advantage of that by putting a scope on the Mosin. The primary application of the scope would be target shooting at high ranges, 250+ yards. Any hunting I do with the rifle, and really any shooting below 100 yards, I would likely just use the iron sights.

For scopes, I honestly don't know what to make of the massive amount of them out there. Brands, magnifications, not to mention there are a few different places on the Mosin where one can put a rail. Guidance from experience would be greatly appreciated!

Speaking of rails, I found a rail that I'm interested in because it leaves the iron sights usable and does not require modification of the bolt. Link below:

http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/scope-mount/

Does anybody have an opinion on this or mounts like it? I'm a bit nervous about having the bolt modified for a sideways handle, and I absolutely am not willing to compromise the original wood stock (Mine is a slightly darker color than my friends' Mosins, almost a cherry color, and I am absolutely in love with it) in order to fit a sideways handle.

I am told there are some ways of mounting a sideways handle that don't require modification of the stock, but as far as I'm concerned that requires buying a second bolt, and if I can avoid that expense then so much the better. Would there be any scopes to stay away from if I put the rail that far forward, or conversely any scopes that would be ideal for that position?

My friends and I fire a relatively cheap spam can ammo, and if anybody knows of anything that offers particular increases in accuracy while still being relatively inexpensive, that would be wonderful too.

Thanks guys!

TRH

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

A buddy of mine got a nice kit for his at Christmas. The mount replaces the rear sight and the kit comes with a much needed recoil pad and scope. Those things kick like mules and that metal band around the butt ain't helpin.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

From the looks of the pic with the scope on it, seems you wouldn't need to switch the bolt, even though that one has the bent bolt...I guess it all depends on the positioning and length of the scope...

Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

I have a 1952 M44 variant and would like a scope. Any suggestions.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry_4a7 View Post
I have a 1952 M44 variant and would like a scope. Any suggestions.
Since you did not spend much on the rifle you need to figure out how much to spend on the scope.
This one is good and in the price range of the rifle:

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/59514
This one is real good and costs more than the rifle and it comes with a spotter:

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/14941
Both of these will let you hit targets at 500 yds or more

Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #6

Great. Thank you. Are there many mounting options

Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #7

There seem to be a couple of options on the mount. This one fits on the rear sight with very little work.

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/59764

This one by ATI requires some mechanical aptitude

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/62110

Here is a link to the instructions on the ATI mount. I would do it if I owned one but I am mechanicaly inclined and have a shop full of tools.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/img/cms/instructions/moi0600.pdf

Last edited by pipeman525; 02-18-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #8

Liked 185 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 185

If I were y'all I would go with the one that mounts like your average run of the mill rifle scope, just because it's actually easier to find glass that you like that way instead of a scout scope. You do have to change your bolt handle but from what I find it actually holds a better zero then the mounts that replace your rear sight. There really not all that complicated to put on you just need to make sure that you get it right the first time.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I got an aim scope on my mosin that replaces the rear site. you will want a scope that has extended eye relief about a foot. The fun part is adjusting the mount to sight it in.