Moa or Mrad? So confused!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Moa or Mrad? So confused!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Moa or Mrad? So confused!

Looking to purchase a scope for my .300 wby mag. Moa or Mrad are my options for the one I want. Vortex viper pst 2.5-10x45

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

this is purely my opinion so take it as such. my preference shouldnt make up anyone's mind on what they like.

my pref is for moa.

mrad is useful in a sniper type application where your engaging many multiples of enemy terrorists meaning to do you harm.

moa is great for hunting and most single target use since it melds well with most civilian rangefinders and ballistic charts. i just find it easier to use as my mind thinks in inches not in partitions of a circle. if you have artillery training or spent years as a sniper or as a navigator mrad might come natural to you.

which ever way you go make sure the turrets and the retical adjust with the same measurement. you dont want a mrad reticle with a turret that adjusts in inches or moa or mils... or any combination like that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-07-2013 at 07:30 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5953 Times on 3370 Posts
Likes Given: 5521

good advice. Leave the military optics to the military users.

Winston Churchill
JimRau Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Stick with MOA. MRAD is not very applicable for civilian use.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the good advice! I have been doing a lot of research and I agree with your recommendations.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

dont get me wrong mrad can be very useful if your trying to eradicate large populations of fast moving hogs or yotes. but it takes training and lots of it, to use it effectively.

but for things like that a nikon spoton type bdc might be more applicable... anyway just my thoughts on it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I love my BDC scopes I have three of them.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

stick with MOA. it is better for hunting animals.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With so much ballistic software and tools out there, I would choose the setup you like the most and run with it. MOA to MILS, you can really dumb it down abbreviating your MILS like everyone does with MOA. Most shoot MOA thinking 1 MOA @ 100 yards is 1". This is very close but not true. Both MILS and MOA are angular measurements and being angular, have nothing to do with linear measurements like inches. We abbreviate them to inches and centimeters for simplicity as the difference is typically small enough to overlook or choose not to apply, like. 1 MOA @1k is not 10" it is actually 10.47 but most of our rifles will not shoot the .47 difference so we round it to 10 inches. Which would actually be what is called,IPHY or, "inches per hundred yards" MIL has the same counterpart called, CPHM,"centimeters per hundred meters"

With mil, it's just as easy. 1 mil at 1k is 1 meter so each click moves the impact 1/10 a meter.

We use .25" and .10 MIL. For example.

1 click with .25 MOA at 100 yards = .26"
1 Click with .1MIL = 1 CM @ 100 Meters

1 click with .25 at 400 yards= 1"
1 Click with .1 mil @ 400 Meters = 4 CM

And in top of it, if you match turrets with reticle, it's even easier. Take a shot, reference the impact on your reticle and dial or hold from what you see.

Meaning, take a shot and lets say it hits low in the ret. count the MILS or MOA it was off and re-engage. I tend to believe most people over complicate MILS and MOA way to much. If you are ranging, it can be complex when you are ranging in MILS but are converting back to inches or yards. If your just shooting or hunting, go with what is most appealing to your eyes and pocket book, it is honestly too easy to use both. If you want some clarification, shoot me a PM and I can give you some additional tools too back up the above.

And I LOATH math....

Hope this helps and does not confuse lol

Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterken
With so much ballistic software and tools out there, I would choose the setup you like the most and run with it. MOA to MILS, you can really dumb it down abbreviating your MILS like everyone does with MOA. Most shoot MOA thinking 1 MOA @ 100 yards is 1". This is very close but not true. Both MILS and MOA are angular measurements and being angular, have nothing to do with linear measurements like inches. We abbreviate them to inches and centimeters for simplicity as the difference is typically small enough to overlook or choose not to apply, like. 1 MOA @1k is not 10" it is actually 10.47 but most of our rifles will not shoot the .47 difference so we round it to 10 inches. Which would actually be what is called,IPHY or, "inches per hundred yards" MIL has the same counterpart called, CPHM,"centimeters per hundred meters"

With mil, it's just as easy. 1 mil at 1k is 1 meter so each click moves the impact 1/10 a meter.

We use .25" and .10 MIL. For example.

1 click with .25 MOA at 100 yards = .26"
1 Click with .1MIL = 1 CM @ 100 Meters

1 click with .25 at 400 yards= 1"
1 Click with .1 mil @ 400 Meters = 4 CM

And in top of it, if you match turrets with reticle, it's even easier. Take a shot, reference the impact on your reticle and dial or hold from what you see.

Meaning, take a shot and lets say it hits low in the ret. count the MILS or MOA it was off and re-engage. I tend to believe most people over complicate MILS and MOA way to much. If you are ranging, it can be complex when you are ranging in MILS but are converting back to inches or yards. If your just shooting or hunting, go with what is most appealing to your eyes and pocket book, it is honestly too easy to use both. If you want some clarification, shoot me a PM and I can give you some additional tools too back up the above.

And I LOATH math....

Hope this helps and does not confuse lol
That was great and very helpful! I appreciate your time spent with this response! Happy shooting!