Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Moa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Moa

So I feel like a dummy here but I have to ask. I recieved a BSA holosight yesterday ( I could not turn down free) and it has 4 reticle settings. It has 3 M.O.A, crosshairs, 10 M.O.A crosshairs and a 65 M.O.A with 3 M.O.A dot. Now it seems to be a decent sight and yes I know it was cheap but my question is what does the MOA settings mean. Can someone stear me in the right dirrection so I'm not so lost anymore. Thanks for all the help.

Matt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Minute of arc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "It is popular because 1 MOA subtends approximately one inch at 100 yards, a traditional distance on target ranges. A shooter can easily readjust his rifle scope by measuring the distance in inches the bullet hole is from the desired impact point, and adjusting the scope that many MOA in the same direction. Most target scopes designed for long distances are adjustable in quarter (¼) or eighth (⅛) MOA "clicks". One eighth MOA is equal to approximately an eighth of an inch at 100 yards or one inch at 800 yards."

I had heard the term before, but had to look for a way to define it. All i ever remember is 1" at 100 yards, and i never get to shoot that far here (too many pine trees).

Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

ok so I have a grasp on the idea of MOA but why would they make different reticles on optics with different MOA I guess I'm still pretty darn lost

Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpike View Post
ok so I have a grasp on the idea of MOA but why would they make different reticles on optics with different MOA I guess I'm still pretty darn lost
I am afraid I don't understand the question.

A 3 MOA reticle covers 3 inches of the target at 100 yards, that sounds like an ideal close quarters scope, but for distance shooting, not to much.

A Fine Duplex reticle would have very thin lines, a very thin dot at the center ( on some ) and would be pretty bad for up close shooting. However, at a distance, the reticle won't cover your target, so you can do fine, print style shooting.

In a close quarters scope, you want a good sized reticle that you can cover a man's chest with, in a hurry, and pull the trigger. If you have a tiny, thin, wire reticle, you can't do that real quick and with both eyes open....

Does that help??

JD

PS - It's Minute of ANGLE, not Minute of Arc. The term translates to roughly 0.47" at 1,000 yards.

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-29-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So, is the 10MOA a bigger and easier to line up quickly than the 3MOA version? I would think that bigger dot or cross would be easier to see & line up on target quickly but not quite so accurately because the bigger dot or cross covers more of the target.

Maybe someone with a similar setup will have a better answer. edit* And there he is.

(the MOarc article had a section on MOAngle, Wiki must not like MOAngle as much. We are always hearing about Joan of Arc, but never about Joan of Angle.)

Last edited by orangello; 07-29-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #6

Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Orange - In a word, yes, basically.

Here's the rub though. A 10 MOA "dot" would essentially cover a 10" pie plate at 100 yards. So, looking through the scope, at the reticle, you would not be able to see the pie plate when you were right on target.

Now, up close, this would be about the size of one of those orange/red dabbers that the Bingo people use to cover up their numbers, it would be the size of a quarter or so. Lining that up on a man's chest would also be quite easy, but it would cover a surface area that might not allow you to see all of your target, thus shooting someone in the head would be difficult.

Personally I would never use a 10 MOA reticle, even in a CQB gun, but that is just me. *shrug*

JD

Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What would be cool (in my opinion) is a similar device that flashed the 1MOA, then the 3MOA, then the 10MOA, in contrasting colors and sequentially. You could aquire the target then tighten up if needed.

. . +

Of course, who would want a purple crosshair?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #8

Ok I get it now, Thank all of all so much. At first I was not sure why the sight would offer 4 different choices to choose from but now I get it. I'm a big fan of the 65 MOA with the 3MOA dot

Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpike View Post
I'm a big fan of the 65 MOA with the 3MOA dot
Roseanne standing behind Kate Moss.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #10