Mil dot scope on a slug gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mil dot scope on a slug gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Show off your AK's!
I personally like Simmons scopes. I'm thinking about getting the Simmons 4x shotgun scope w/ diamond reticule off of Amazon along with some steel weaver rings and a 12 gauge chamber inserted bore sighting module.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #12

How much eye relief do I need? I know the minimum is 3" but I plan on using 3" slugs and the recoil is worse with 3" slugs.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #13

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You're leaving out some information about your Slug gun. Are you running a Saddleback Mount? A custom drilled/tapped receiver? You keep talking about Weaver Mounts, but you need a "Base" first to even put the Weaver Scope Mounts on. What have you got?

Yes, you'll need some serious eye relief. I would suggest a good Scout Scope that will give you the scope eye relief you need. A good Red Dot in Leupold, Primary Arms, Bushnell Trophy to name a few. Stay away form those that sell under $100. You might even knock out a $250 Red Dot---who knows. You need something that will handle extreme shock. Go to SWFA and take a peek at what they have in good quality scopes. Give them a call and ask questions about the scope you select for the job you want it to do.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
You're leaving out some information about your Slug gun. Are you running a Saddleback Mount? A custom drilled/tapped receiver? You keep talking about Weaver Mounts, but you need a "Base" first to even put the Weaver Scope Mounts on. What have you got?

Yes, you'll need some serious eye relief. I would suggest a good Scout Scope that will give you the scope eye relief you need. A good Red Dot in Leupold, Primary Arms, Bushnell Trophy to name a few. Stay away form those that sell under $100. You might even knock out a $250 Red Dot---who knows. You need something that will handle extreme shock. Go to SWFA and take a peek at what they have in good quality scopes. Give them a call and ask questions about the scope you select for the job you want it to do.
The h&r ultra slug shotguns come with a Weaver style base / rail already bolted to the gun.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #15

Would a reflex sight work?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #16

Liked 261 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Wht change to a optic that will limit accuracy at longer ranges a good slug can shot at. Give your self the best view possible . I would even up grade from a fixed 4 to a 2x7 up to a 2.5 to 10 so you can pick when you have a clear shot cause even a slug is not a brush buster, really !!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 668

This is a personal issue. I tend to use my scope for binoculars. I have the scope turned up to 12x watching squirrels play. Then I see a deer 10 yards away from my stand. My scope is on 12x I try to shoot the deer but all I can see is a patch of blurry hair. I try to to adjust my scope but all this movement at 10 yards allows the deer to spot me. The deer runs away. A couple minutes later I hear my hunting partner shooting. I wait 20 minutes. Then walk to my partners stand. There he is with the deer I let get away.

I found a way to fix this issue. I use nothing but fixed power scopes. Fixed power scopes are very durable. I have only had one fixed power scope to fail in my life. 300 yard shots are make-able with a 4x scope. When I am shooting a gun unsupported I don't want the scope any higher than 5x any way. I don't always buy expensive scopes either. The glass in a $60 to $100 scope today is just as good if not better than a $500 scope from 20 years ago. Where the difference is the adjustments are not always repeatable and you can't set the adjustment knob to zero once you have the scope sighted in. Another issue with cheap scopes is each click is not exactly 1/4 moa or whatever the scope maker says each click should be.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-08-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #18

Liked 261 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I own bino's I keep my variable power scopes set low . If the game comes close I'm ready with a 2 or 3 power low range . If a deer is 200 yards off I can scan it with binos first to see if its worth taking. Then its no different then shooting at a deer at 450 yards with your rifle. Roll in power as your shouldering your rifle and shoot. I also don't worry about "clicking the scope turrets. THis is not a match shoot, ether use a scope with limited yardage dots like many slug and todays rifle scopes have and learn them or go old school and move your zero to a longer range and note what happens to bullet impact at shorter yardage and out to your max limit. If your uncomfortable remembering the impact point make a cheat sheet to help you. After a while it will be in memory. That's what I do. Long range zero. Anything hog sized and larger is good to go from 20 feet to 225 yards with the slug gun. with out adjustments other than power. I like a enough scope power. No lower fixed power scope here.