Mil dot scope on a slug gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mil dot scope on a slug gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts

Default Mil dot scope on a slug gun

I'm saving up for the h&r 12 gauge ultra slug with the thumbhole stock. I plan on putting the truglo 4x32 tactical mil-dot scope on it. It's a FFP fixed 4x. My 5 questions are :

1. How do you sight in a mil dot / turret scope?

2. How long is a mil at 4x considering most mil dot scopes are 10x+?

3. Can the truglo scope handle slug recoil?

4. Im not going to shoot farther than 200 yards ; how far should I sight in at to get the most use out of the reticule (I have a laser rangefinder)?

5. Which scope would be better for slugs : the truglo mil dot scope or the tasco 3-9x mil-dot scope?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

actually i would go with a nikon slughunter scope.

a shotgun will beat the snot out of a truglo in no time flat.

mildots arent going to mean much to you if your using a range finder....

at 100 yards a typical subtend (center of a mildot to center of the next) is 3.6"

more info at http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/the-mildot-reticle i dont feel like typing it all out.

for slug hunting your better off forgetting mils and go with a reticle that is calibrated for a typical shotgun slug. nikon does it really well and they offer software called spot on that lets you figure exactly what your drops are for a given range at a given magnification.

some folks like truglo i wouldnt use one to beat a terrorist to death...

your going to have the same issues with tasco on a slug gun

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

at 100 yards a typical subtend (center of a mildot to center of the next) is 3.6"

more info at http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/the-mildot-reticle i dont feel like typing it all out.

for slug hunting your better off forgetting mils and go with a reticle that is calibrated for a typical shotgun slug. nikon does it really well and they offer software called spot on that lets you figure exactly what your drops are for a given range at a given magnification.

OK, what about:

Truglo shotgun scope w/ diamond reticule

Electronic red dot scope

Simmons 4x32 scope with 4" eye relief

Bushnell banner

Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva209x50 View Post
OK, what about:

Electronic red dot scope

Bushnell banner
I normally would get a Nikon bdc scope but it's just a summer job (I'm 16) and I want to take my girlfriend out with whatever $$$ is left

Old 05-07-2014, 02:59 AM   #5

Liked 101 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
I'm saving up for the h&r 12 gauge ultra slug with the thumbhole stock. I plan on putting the truglo 4x32 tactical mil-dot scope on it. It's a FFP fixed 4x. My 5 questions are :

1. How do you sight in a mil dot / turret scope?

2. How long is a mil at 4x considering most mil dot scopes are 10x+?

3. Can the truglo scope handle slug recoil?

4. Im not going to shoot farther than 200 yards ; how far should I sight in at to get the most use out of the reticule (I have a laser rangefinder)?

5. Which scope would be better for slugs : the truglo mil dot scope or the tasco 3-9x mil-dot scope?

Okay first a little information that will help you better understand MILs versus MOA

Now that you've got that under your belt I'm going to bring up just ONE point in scope selection. Reticle & turret graduations and having them match. I'm sure after watching these two videos you can see the potential for a LOT of math when using a scope with a mildot reticle with MOA turrets which seems to be the case with the Truglo you mention. I really don't recommend the mismatch. If you are going to buy a mildot reticle scope I would suggest you chose one with mil graduated turrets.

As to how to fit and sight in a scope here are a couple more videos that contain some good information on the subject.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Just an FYI all fixed power scope by definition are FFP

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #6

Liked 101 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Good advice being given here; do yourself a favor and give it serious consideration.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1860 Times on 1275 Posts
Likes Given: 685

I have a BSA shotgun scope on my slug gun. I have been very fortunate with the BSA. The first one I had lasted several years. One of the mounts broke taking out the scope with it. I learned a lesson from that experience, use steel mounts or mounts like the weaver quad lock.
Back to the scope, I sent BSA the old scope and a check for $10. BSA replaced my scope with a much nicer nitrogen filled scope that does not fog up. I haven't shot very many rounds with the new scope. But it has not drifted or given me any kind of grief.

I shoot hornady or winchester 300 gr sabots. Both brands of sabots drop around 7" at 200 yards. I sight my scope in 2" high at 100 yards. Longer shots are difficult to make due to wind drift. A 12 ga sabot has a poor ballistic coefficient. At 200 yards a steady breeze will push a sabot a foot off target.

Due to the wind it is best to sight in your shotgun a couple times. Try to get some practice on windy days. Allowing for wind drift is not rocket science but it requires practice with the ammo you plan to hunt with.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-07-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Mistake using Winchester Ballistic Calculator

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #8

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Just buy a respectable rifle scope in what ever power range you like. Some like a redfield 2-7 will hold up and not clutter up the lens with unneeded dots and lines. Work your zero out to a 150 to 175 yards . As you find what shoot best at 100 makes some note as to where it impacts at 50 too and 200 yards and your ready too. I have had an old bushnell 3-9 on mine for some 25 years. Winchesters 386gr nosler partition slug fps slug is a fast almost 2000fps slug that carry's well down range and bucks the wind well. You will not get lots of wind drift with the heavier sabots. More like a hot 45/70 load. Solid 200 yard slug load.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
OK, what about:

Electronic red dot scope

Bushnell banner
See hardluk's reply above.

My opinion is if you buy cheap your going to be buying again. This doesn't mean you need a 1400$ nightforce. It just means save up a little more for a better optic from a company with a decent rep for making shotgun optics.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I agree with what JOn M and others have said. Buy Once Cry Once. Also the Nikon slug scopes are not that pricey. You should be good to go for like $200. Check optic planet, Cabellas, Sportsmans Guide etc as they often have them for sale. This is the cheapest I have found in 5 minutes of googling. http://www.universalmania.com/nikon-slughunter-3-9x-40mm-shotgun-scope-with-bdc-200-reticle/?gclid=CKr9v6_6mb4CFRFnOgodxT8A_w