Mil dot accuracy on lower-end scopes?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mil dot accuracy on lower-end scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mil dot accuracy on lower-end scopes?

Hey guys,

I'm the owner of a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40. I've got it mounted on one of my rifles and since I've started shooting longer distances, I've been using mil dot ranging more and more. Now, the tracking on the scope isn't the best, so even with a very accurate range estimation the first shot never lands exactly where I want it to if I go by the ballistics chart from JBM's website (which has proven to be accurate in other situations for me). But I've been wondering how accurate the mil dots are in the first place?

I've done some research and found out that I can line up the mil dots with 3.6" hash marks on paper at exactly 100 yards to determine the accuracy of the mil dot spacing, but you can never be certain if the half-ass ranges around here even place their targets at precisely the range they claim to be at (+/- 5 yards wouldn't surprise me).

How accurate do the mil reticles tend to be? Anyone have any first hand experience with 10x fixed Bushnells and their mil dot reticles? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6557 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 6202

Mildots on top end scopes are very accurate.

I don't think that you can expect a low cost scope to perform to very high levels.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

When your changing scope settings and want that shot to work with low end stuff you will get closer to expected poi by tapping the windage and elevation knobs with a tool. It will help seat the mechanism.

Having adjustments that track true is a big part of higher dollar scope costs.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6557 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 6202

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
When your changing scope settings and want that shot to work with low end stuff you will get closer to expected poi by tapping the windage and elevation knobs with a tool. It will help seat the mechanism.

Having adjustments that track true is a big part of higher dollar scope costs.
+1. another option is to shoot a round or two into the backstop after making an adjustment.