Mil-Dot?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Mil-Dot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Mil-Dot?

Okay, I've been using MOA scopes my entire shooting career, and they've worked just fine. I have noticed that the number of tactical, standard moa adjustment sights is diminishing, and mil-dots are becoming more popular? Should I make the switch? Are mil-dot reticle s really that complex to use? Also, if I get a mil-dot scope, can I use MOA adjustments with the reticle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 590

There are plenty of duplex/german#4 reticle scopes on the market,as well as target dot reticles. The ballistic reticles are just a sales pitch in my opinion!
Unless you are wanting to range targets,or shoot at ranges that a mil-dot or one of the many derivative altered styles of mil-dot reticles could be used for with windage/elevation holdovers,there's really no reason to change unless you just want one.
You need to match the reticle and turrets-Either get a Mil/Mil scope or an MOA/MOA scope. Most cheap scopes use a Mil-dot reticle,and have MOA turrets.You can use them,but it's a mathematician's nightmare trying to!

If you really want to get one,buy a Mil-dot Master,and get a First Focal Plane scope. It's a lot easier learning how to correctly use a mil-dot reticle with a FFP reticle scope,after you learn how,you'll be able to use a Second Focal Plane scope just as easy.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6235 Times on 3507 Posts
Likes Given: 5833

If you are willing to invest the time and effort to learn the Mil-Dot system, they can be very useful. I really like them on long range rifles.

For the average hunter that zeros it on Friday and hunts on Saturday, a Mil-Dot buys you nothing.

Their popularity is mostly due to "kewl factor." (wannabe snipers)

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hunt with a range finder, so the mil-dot's utility as a ranging tool is of no use to me - besides, it is a bit complicated and time consuming.

However, I do find it quite capable for effecting hold-over in lieu of a bullet-drop-compensating reticle. Once you are zeroed you do the math for a particular cartridge/bullet/weight combination and you can calculate holdover in mils and are good to go. Memorize or make a cheat-sheet stuck in your scope cover.

Change loads, re-zero, do the math, and you're good to go and aren't married to a BDC reticle that doesn't match up.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

allyou gotta do is convert the distance read from meters to yards, ex. 100 meters = 110 yards (add 10%) close enough, then moa adjustments are appropriate.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
allyou gotta do is convert the distance read from meters to yards, ex. 100 meters = 110 yards (add 10%) close enough, then moa adjustments are appropriate.
Not only that but if you shoot enough you know what they are at any given distance . For the guy that shoots his rifle 4-5 times a year , he will never remember , its not that hard to get used to it just takes practice . There is a reason good shooters build , study and a carry shooters book with all their info in it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #7

I honestly only shoot out to about 500 yards, would a mil-dot reticle be useful?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
I honestly only shoot out to about 500 yards, would a mil-dot reticle be useful?
Absolutely! Not knowing the external ballistics of what you're shooting (probably an AR???), I'll just throw out some sample 55 grain 5.56 numbers:

For a 100 yard zero, bullet drop is 2" @ 200yds, 10.2" @ 300 yds, 26.8" @ 400 yds, and 54.7" @ 500 yds.

Mil-dot holdover calculated for 500 yds is as follows: 3.6" X 5 (x00 yards) = 18" per mil-dot. Divide your drop (54.7) by 18 and your holdover will be 3 mil-dots.

For 300 yards, briefly the equation would be 3.6" X 3 (x00 yds) = 10.8" per mil-dot. Drop (10.2) / 10.8 = .94 mil-dot, so just call it 1.

Do the math ahead of time for various ranges and make a cheat sheet.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

I stopped using mils when i left the army. I opt for moa/moa scopes to match civvy rangefinders and ballistic charts. No conversions needed and its good enough.

I dont think you need mildots unless you think in mils. I think in moa and inches so mils is kinda hard for me and not intuitive. Its a skill you have to do everyday to keep it fresh and active mils arent natural for humans to think in terms of so if you slack off you have to relearn.

I like ballistic reticles to a certain extent. If you do your work ahead of time it can be very accurate. Nikon's spot on program for use with their scopes makes hunting with those reticles a snap.

With the reticle in my acog it will let me shoot minute of goblin out to 600m. Not precision but it serves my needs.

Dont get wrapped up in what others are doing. Do what comes natural to you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #10

Thanks for the info, guys. I think Im going to keep my moa scopes as primary for now, but a mil-dot might be coming down the road