Made in Japan Colt 4x20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Made in Japan Colt 4x20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6013 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Default Made in Japan Colt 4x20

Ive spoken from time to time about my colt sp1 and colt 4x scope. it came new with the sp1. the sp1 is now retired to the gun safe and the colt scope has moved on to a new life on my AR15A1. I was out today TRYING to do a range report with it but just pics will have to suffice for now.

as you can see this is a real one not a reprodruction as it has the correct made in japan stamp on the bottom

-Cotinued-

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

it has a bullet drop compensator as part of the elevation turret the ranges go from 1-2, 3, 4, 5 each are 100 yard increments. the compensator actually works well enough with 55grn fmj at 3000fps to hit center mass up to 500yds. just set the turret dial to the correct number and aim center mass. it works a little different than the more common bdc reticle.

the glass like almost all japanese lens glass from the 60's 70's and early 80's is really clear.

next weekend ill try again for a good range report with this scope. its one of my favorite optics. its simple, its got good clear optics, and the bdc dial really works well.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

got to love carry handle scopes, they just look awesome on guns.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have the same scope it came mounted on an orginal Colt SP11.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
I have the same scope it came mounted on an orginal Colt SP11.
Do you still use Yours?? I take mine out a lot and its usually a big draw at the range.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #6

JonM, Yes it is my favorite set up for the AR15. Many of the younger shooters are not impressed . They cannot believe that a scope without batteries and bright red lights will work. I have an H-Bar upper with a 10X Leuopold for dog shooting.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ive run into the types now and then i gotta take to school with my 55grn fmj and old style triangle rifle and scope my wife has a leupold mk4 cqt and a good friend back in tejas swears by his eotech and i dont like either. ill take my old xhair 4x20 or open sights any day of the year.

i wish colt would re-contract out those old scopes i would like a new one as a backup

Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #8

Jon, their was a copy some years back. They were not marked Colt but they looked like the Colt. I have one some where in my junk. I used to keep it in the pocket of my AR15 bag. The AR 15 and 4x scope stay behind the seat in my Jeep. The AR 15 is a big favorite here in the Rocky Mtns. They take the winter weather real good. The only problem with them is they are not easy to pack on a horse.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Jon, their was a copy some years back. They were not marked Colt but they looked like the Colt. I have one some where in my junk. I used to keep it in the pocket of my AR15 bag. The AR 15 and 4x scope stay behind the seat in my Jeep. The AR 15 is a big favorite here in the Rocky Mtns. They take the winter weather real good. The only problem with them is they are not easy to pack on a horse.
ya ive seen those and it didnt appear the quality was there. i take it you dont use your clone much.

relevant links:

Scabbards

Carbine Scabbard

Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #10

Hey now that is some rig. I like that alot. We will be checking that one out. No I don't use the clone. I think the orginal Colt scopes are rather expensive. Have you tried any of the Herters .223 as sold by Cabelas. I bought a case of this ammo. I shoot it in the winter as the cases are lost in the snow. I got it for $3.99 per box. The stuff shoots OK.