M-223 irt - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > M-223 irt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8tShooter View Post
Tree hugger

How do you like the 3-9? I'm debating the Trijicon 3-9 and the 5-20. I use my AR mostly for target and the occasional unlucky coyote. I would like to be as accurate as I can to 200yds. Eyes aren't what they used to be. Can't decide if the 5-20 is overkill.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
I will admit to being a fan of the Trijicon optics. I have a TA31F ACOG (4x) on my 5.56 RRA AR-15, which is my plinker/coyote weapon of choice.

The 3-9x40 I referred to is a TR20-2G AccuPoint w/ mil-dot reticle and green dot. It is mounted on my 6.8SPC dedicated hunting AR-15, which I consider appropriate for whitetail deer out to about 300 yards.

Trijicon glass is suburb, and my eyes probably aren't what they used to be at almost 64 years of age, either.

For the range you indicate you'd be shooting, I would agree that the 5-20 would be overkill, in addition to being larger and twice as heavy.

I'm not trying to convert this thread to a Trijicon topic, and for the money I think Nikon offers some pretty good optics, but I'm just not sold on this particular model the OP referenced.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49

I will admit to being a fan of the Trijicon optics. I have a TA31F ACOG (4x) on my 5.56 RRA AR-15, which is my plinker/coyote weapon of choice.

The 3-9x40 I referred to is a TR20-2G AccuPoint w/ mil-dot reticle and green dot. It is mounted on my 6.8SPC dedicated hunting AR-15, which I consider appropriate for whitetail deer out to about 300 yards.

Trijicon glass is suburb, and my eyes probably aren't what they used to be at almost 64 years of age, either.

For the range you indicate you'd be shooting, I would agree that the 5-20 would be overkill, in addition to being larger and twice as heavy.

I'm not trying to convert this thread to a Trijicon topic, and for the money I think Nikon offers some pretty good optics, but I'm just not sold on this particular model the OP referenced.
Not hurting my feelings sir! Although I did do some moving around on the scope and going to try a different ammo. The mount is defiantly a different way to go. I'm not opposed to it "yet". Will give some more feedback once I've taken it out again. Also put this bad boy on it today!

image-1409697591.jpg

Feel sorry for the poor guy next to me!
image-4235254639.jpg  

Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a old eaver mounted with a Nikon 223 mount and it looks good.
Too much snow to take it to the range, have to wait 3 + weeks.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc
I have a old eaver mounted with a Nikon 223 mount and it looks good.
Too much snow to take it to the range, have to wait 3 + weeks.
That sucks. Last week we had 18 inches of snow and well below freezing. This week it's been 80 deg and windy as hell. Lots of sick folks.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBogart View Post
.... Although I did do some moving around on the scope and going to try a different ammo. The mount is defiantly a different way to go. I'm not opposed to it "yet". Will give some more feedback once I've taken it out again.!........
To get to the heart of the matter of your rather large group size, ensuring the mounts are secure is a good first step.

Also, I'm not impressed with the accuracy of the less-expensive M-193 or M-855 ammo out there. My RRA will shoot MOA or better with Hornady V-MAX rounds, and it opens up to 3 - 3 1/2" using the NATO stuff, so get a box of some good target grade ammo and see what you get.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

That sure is purty...
This is what I am saving up for to purchase next year..
http://www.frankonia.de/259322/189815/productdetail.html?pagingSize=32&lastSelected=f_s_ Modell&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_M odell=H--K+MR&page=0&displayType=gallery&articleNumber=1507 51&navCategoryId=6748

Old 03-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #17

Oh boy... A rifle that is connected to my heart!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49

To get to the heart of the matter of your rather large group size, ensuring the mounts are secure is a good first step.

Also, I'm not impressed with the accuracy of the less-expensive M-193 or M-855 ammo out there. My RRA will shoot MOA or better with Hornady V-MAX rounds, and it opens up to 3 - 3 1/2" using the NATO stuff, so get a box of some good target grade ammo and see what you get.
I have some quality ammo in my stash that I use. Black hills 68 gr match moly coated. I may take 10 or so next time at the range. Last night I ordered a Geissele SSA-E. as for the large group I think it had to do with the scope being mounted on the rail. I moved it to the upper receiver. I think this will be my biggest help right now IMO.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBogart View Post
I have some quality ammo in my stash that I use. Black hills 68 gr match moly coated. I may take 10 or so next time at the range. Last night I ordered a Geissele SSA-E. as for the large group I think it had to do with the scope being mounted on the rail. I moved it to the upper receiver. I think this will be my biggest help right now IMO.
Ahhhh! I missed that. I think you have solved your problem. I'm sure you'll like the new trigger as well.

Good luck, and have fun!

Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5724 Times on 3238 Posts
Likes Given: 5158

I can't decide for you, but for me, even a 3-9 is gross overkill on a 223. My eyes are 69 years old, and far less than they used to be, but 1-4 or 1.5-5 is near ideal for a variable on a .223..

Winston Churchill