M-14/M1a1 scope mounts - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > M-14/M1a1 scope mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have been researching this issue for a few months now and am still having a hard time trying to figure which mount and rings to get. I am picking up my M1A Standard tommorrow and have already ordered a Vortex PST 4-16x50 for the optics. I have been looking mainly at the Sadlak and Bassett then recently saw the McCann and Smith mounts. Any suggestions what would be a good set up with the Vortex, the optics will be permament for the most part otherwise I would probably only considered the Bassett. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #52

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002zo6 View Post
I have been researching this issue for a few months now and am still having a hard time trying to figure which mount and rings to get. I am picking up my M1A Standard tommorrow and have already ordered a Vortex PST 4-16x50 for the optics. I have been looking mainly at the Sadlak and Bassett then recently saw the McCann and Smith mounts. Any suggestions what would be a good set up with the Vortex, the optics will be permament for the most part otherwise I would probably only considered the Bassett. Thanks for any help.
The Bassett mount fits receivers that are out of spec without custom fitting. Sadlak and SEI mounts are copies of the old Brookfield mount which is world class, but do require fitting to most commercial receivers. Sadlak had fitting instructions, and they will do the fitting if you need it.

M14s tend to be very rough on scopes with side parallax knobs. The oprod action applies a forward recoil element that beats them to death.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The Bassett mount fits receivers that are out of spec without custom fitting. Sadlak and SEI mounts are copies of the old Brookfield mount which is world class, but do require fitting to most commercial receivers. Sadlak had fitting instructions, and they will do the fitting if you need it.

M14s tend to be very rough on scopes with side parallax knobs. The oprod action applies a forward recoil element that beats them to death.
Thanks, for the Sadlak to properly fit does it require the rifle to be sent to them or is it something that a local gunsmith could work with? Do you have any recommendations as for what rings are good? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #54

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002zo6 View Post
Thanks, for the Sadlak to properly fit does it require the rifle to be sent to them or is it something that a local gunsmith could work with? Do you have any recommendations as for what rings are good? Thanks for the help.
If the Sadlak requires fitting, it is the mount that gets altered not the rifle.

Don't skimp on rings. The IOR rings are the best bang for the buck.

If it will be a dedicated scoped rifle, mount it as low as you can.

And a good cheekrest will be a must have. Look at the Dessert Warrior Products. Cheap, good and easy to install.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #55

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have tried the SAI series, Sadlak and Bassett. Basset is my choice.
1: Cost effective
2: Does not replace the stripper clip well.
3 Returns to zero every time.
4: Fast detach.
5: I use the high weaver mount with Leupold
rings. This allows full time use of the irons without
dismounting. Allows larger diameter scope bell.
6: Does not shoot loose if instructions are followed.
This means 22 ft/lbs of torque and no oils in the
receiver hole.

The rifle is set up to allow rapid shots on a 12'X16"
steel plate at 300 meters. From prone,sitting or
a rest such as a log or bench, 100% hits with
1.5 second firing interval. Use low magnification,
4-6x for wider FOV and easier sight picture acquisition.
The rifle is a mid '80's standard. 0XXXX serial.

bassetmount.jpg  

Last edited by fmfcorpsman; 09-22-2013 at 06:22 PM.
M14sRock Likes This